Why choose a rope leash?
Table of Contents
- 1 Why choose a rope leash?
- 2 Things to look for in a rope leash
- 3 5 Best Rope Dog Leashes
- Looks. Rope leashes have a more attractive look than flat leashes. They look the same from any angle, unlike flat leashes, which look awkward as they twist and turn.
- Easy on the hands. The thick, sturdy material of a rope leash is generally much easier on the hands than a standard leash, especially when you want to grab it somewhere other than the handle.
- Strong. Rope leashes are generally stronger than standard leashes; rope leashes made of mountain-climbing-grade rope are significantly stronger.
- Safety. One of the most important ways to prevent dog walking injuries is using a sturdy leash with a good handle such as a rope leash, so you won’t wrap the leash around your fingers or hand.
Things to look for in a rope leash
Colors/appearanceA rope leash has a number of advantages over the standard flat leash. One of them is that they look much more stylish. There are a number of well-made and functional rope leashes on the market. You have the option to choose the best fit and style for your dog. Pick a color that matches your dog’s harness or collar or one that you are sure will stand out in traffic. Some leashes have lovely geometric patterns that are attention-getting and stylish.
LengthMost of the time while you are walking your dog on a rope leash, you will be holding onto the handle. Therefore, the length of the leash is very important. Do you want your leash to give your dog plenty of room to roam around or do you need a short, sturdy leash for city walking? Rope leashes come between four and six feet on average. Choose a leash that feels comfortable for walking your dog. If you aren’t sure what type of walking you’ll do, or you expect different uses, consider a rope leash that attaches to a bungee feature. This way, you can choose how long you want the lead to be at any given time.
WidthMost people shopping for a rope leash want a heavy-duty sturdy leash for a strong dog. Therefore, the most desirable width is generally at least half an inch. Any thicker than half an inch and the leash will be too stiff for you and your dog to walk comfortably. Any thinner, and it will be uncomfortable for you to grab with your hand and may not seem strong enough. If you are choosing a leash for a smaller dog, choose a thinner leash that won’t be too heavy for them. Similarly, if you have a larger dog, make sure the leash is large and sturdy enough.
Clip or slipThe choice of clip or slip lead is important. A clip is attached to the collar or harness of your choosing, while a slip lead adjusts to fit any dog by continuously tightening. A slip lead is usually not the best choice for everyday walking. It definitely isn’t a good pick for any kind of active exercise in which your dog should pull, like mountain climbing or skateboarding. A slip lead can be the right option when you’re moving multiple dogs of different sizes and don’t want to make a bunch of adjustments in between. It can also be a useful training aid. Here are some tips on training a dog to heel nicely on a walk using a rope slip lead.
HandleThe handle will be your primary attachment to your dog, so choose a handle that you like. Some rope dog leash handles are the same material as the leash, while others have additional padding. If your dog pulls hard, look for a handle with plenty of thick padding.
ReflectiveReflective stitching throughout the leash makes you and your dog more visible at night. On the other hand, reflective stitching is usually a bit hard on the hands. Also, leashes with reflective stitching may not be as easy to grip by anything but the handle. When deciding between reflective and nonreflective material, consider how often you’ll be walking your dog at night against how much you’ll want to grab the leash by the main body instead of the handle.
Leash materialHarder, rough leashes hold up to your dog biting or chewing at them but will also be harder on your hands. Take your own and your dog’s needs into consideration when deciding on the leash material and whether you want it to be harder and stronger or softer. Take the leash’s material into consideration as you consider different uses: whether the handle is made of the same material as the leash, whether you expect to grab the leash by something other than the handle very often, and whether it is a slip lead that will go around your dog’s neck.
5 Best Rope Dog Leashes
- HEAVY DUTY - The BAAPET dog leash made with strongest 1/2 inch diameter rock climbing rope and very durable clip hook for you and your dog safe
- COMFORT PADDED HANDLES - Features soft padded handles for amazing comfortable, just enjoy the feeling walks with your dog and protects your hand from rope burn
- REFLECTIVE FOR NIGHT SAFETY - Highly reflective threads dog leashes keeps you both safe and visible on your late-evening walks
Editor’s CommentsThis is a heavy-duty leash made to withstand even the strongest pullers. Its 1/2-inch diameter is sturdy enough to hold up against your dog if they decide to turn around and chew on it every now and then. The durable clip won’t give way no matter which direction your dog pulls from. Comfort padded handles make it easy for you to enjoy your walk. It will prevent you from getting rope burn or sore fingers even if you are using this rope leash to let your dog pull you on a skateboard or rollerblades. It is reflective so that you will be visible even at night. A 5-foot length gives you enough freedom to walk your dog easily but good control. If you aren’t happy with anything about this leash, the company guarantees money back.
- Half-inch diameter rock-climbing rope is very sturdy, even for dogs that bite at the leash
- Improved cover for handle and clip that will not split
- Handle padding that is thick and comfortable for walks that require a lot of pressure
- Comes in a range of attractive colors, each of which is reflective for nighttime safety
- The thick, heavy leash may feel too stiff for some people
- Material is resistant to dogs biting but also makes it uncomfortable to grasp anywhere other than the handle
- Colors Current Available, COLORS: HOT PINK/RED/Blue/Turquoise Green/Lime Green/White, SIZE: 4/5/6 FEET, Multi-Function, Double Dogs.
- DURABLE: Strong leash made of durable mountain climbing rope, heavy duty clasp with classic leather connection
- MATERIAL: Nylon Knitting climbing rope, 1/2 inch diameter
Editor’s CommentsDo you want a leash that is as attractive as it is sturdy? This impressive leash comes in a range of geometric designs and color options. The handle and buckle are covered in a genuine leather cover stitched with heavy-duty thread to hold up against even the strongest dogs. The handle and leash are made of the same material, creating a synchronized look. The sturdy half-inch rope offers a comfortable grip anywhere along its length. These leashes are hand-tailored with durable nylon climbing rope. It comes in four-, five-, and six-foot lengths.
- Range of beautiful geometric designs and colors
- A durable leash made of heavy-duty mountain climbing rope with 1/2-inch diameter
- Hand-tailored with a genuine leather cover for handle and buckle
- Not too heavy for medium-sized dogs but durable enough for large breeds
- No extra padding in the handle, so if your dog is a heavy puller, this may not be the best choice
- Some people find the material uncomfortable to grasp
- No reflectivity; not as good for nighttime walks
- Heavy Duty Premium Slip Rope Dog Leash Mountain Climbing Grade
- EASY AND CONVENIENT. Great for crate transfer, potty breaks and training, no collar or harness needed.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL. 6-feet long and 1/2 inch thick cord. Adjustable loop. This slip leash fits Large and Small Breeds
Editor’s CommentsThis sturdy slip lead can hold up to whatever dog you need to walk. If you are outfitting your kennel, choosing a leash for volunteering at a shelter, or just want a good leash to move your dogs of various sizes from one place to another, this is a great choice. It is made of the same material throughout, a heavy-duty, ½-inch, climbing-grade rope. It comes in a range of colors, each with an attractive design.
- Attractive leash with the same ½-inch heavy-duty climbing rope throughout
- Adjustable slip lead fits any size dog comfortably
- Stopper so that the leash doesn’t get wider on its own, making this a very safe, secure lead even for dogs that may try to escape
- Testing up to 1,000 pounds of strength but light enough for small dogs
- Six-foot length gives your dog lots of freedom but also gives you control
- Waterproof rope is great for places that may have lots of rain or beach walking
- Not reflective, so not as good for nighttime walks
- Some dogs that push a lot against the loop can loosen the stopper
- Too heavy for the smallest dogs
- ★ ANTI-PULLING RESISTANT LEASH – Braided with tough nylon, SparklyPets Rope Leash is made for dogs who easily wear through regular leashes
- ★ FOR STRONG DOGS – Featuring a thick rope, metallic hook, leather joints, and elastic bungee, rope leash is perfect for stronger dogs
- ★ SHOCK ABSORBING BUNGEE – When you buy your big dog leash today, you will also receive an elastic bungee to offset the pulling
Editor’s CommentsWhether you are doing an activity with your dog that involves pulling, like skateboarding or bike riding, or you just have a dog who really pulls on the leash, you may want a leash that offers more shock-absorption than rope has to offer. This leash combines a length of rope that is strong and looks good, with a bungee portion that is resistant to chewing and offers shock absorption. The two parts are connected by a sturdy clasp so you can choose whether to use only the rope portion or clip the bungee portion to something else like a waist leash.
- Comes in four attractive colors, each with reflective stitching
- High-quality leather covering over rope clip and handle
- Multi-purpose leash can be used with only the bungee portion and an attachment like a handle or waist leash for running, or only the rope portion, or combined
- Five-year guarantee from the company for a full refund
- Tough nylon will hold up to even the strongest dogs and is resistant to chewing
- Persistent chewers can still make a dent in this leash over time
- Heavy for smaller dogs
- Bungie may not make a difference for strong dogs that pull a lot
- Hand crafted in the USA
- Great for training
- Made of waterproof, colorfast, durable multi-filament polypropylene solid core roping features all brass hardware and oil tanned leather splices
Editor’s CommentsMendota is a well-known American maker of horse and dog rope products. This beautiful leash comes in several colors. It is handmade of multifilament polypropylene solid core rope that is both waterproof and colorfast. The hardware is a gorgeous solid brass that will hold up through the years. The covering for clip and handle joinings are made of oil-tanned leather that is attractively stitched and branded with the maker’s name. This leash is easy on the hands regardless of where you hold it, making it very versatile.
- A well-known American company that produces handmade products
- Solid brass hardware
- Oil-tanned leather coverings for handle and buckle
- Sturdy half-inch rope is waterproof, colorfast, and comfortable on the hands
- The clip may be heavy for smaller dogs
- Leather and rope won’t hold up to chewing
- Very soft, fine multifilament that may get snagged on rough surfaces
ConclusionThe best rope dog leashes offer great control and comfort so that you will enjoy walking your dog. There are plenty of choices in the look, feel, materials, and other features of rope leashes, so you are sure to find a fit that is perfect for your dog whether you want a clip or slip lead rope leash. All of the rope leashes that I reviewed were great leashes, but the BAAPET 5 FT Strong Dog Leash with Comfortable Padded Handle and Highly Reflective Threads Dog Leashes for Medium and Large Dogs will meet most people’s needs in a rope leash very well.
Last Updated on