Table of Contents
- 1 The Beagle Poodle Mix
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Poodle Beagle Mix
- 3 3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Beagle Mixed With Poodle
- 4 Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Poodle Mixed With Beagle
- 5 Beagle Poodle Cross-Breed Puppies for Sale
- 6 Grooming Your Poodle Beagle Cross-Breed
- 7 Beagle Combined With Poodle Health Problems
- 8 Poodle Combined With Beagle Food Requirements
- 9 Beagle Poodle Mix Exercise Requirements
- 10 Poodle Beagle Mix Training
- 11 Beagle Mixed With Poodle And Families
- 12 References:
The Beagle Poodle Mix
A Beagle Poodle is a mixed breed, resulting from two pure breeds: a Beagle and a Poodle. They are sometimes called Poogles, Beaglepoos, Beagledoodles, or Beapoos. Poogles inherit both the physical and temperamental characteristics of their parents. Beagles are very loyal and curious, while Poodles are highly intelligent. This makes them very trainable dogs. Their fur is reminiscent of their Poodle parent, while their ears come from their Beagle heritage.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Poodle Beagle Mix
- They are attention seekers. Poodles tend to be hungry for attention, something that they pass on to the mixed breed. If they are being neglected, Beagle Poodles will demand the owner’s attention in whatever way they can. Otherwise, they could become depressed or anxious. Always give them enough attention and play with them as often as you can.
- They chase after small animals. Beagle Poodles inherit the hunting instinct of the Beagle parents. Thus, they will tend to chase after small animals that they find. If you have any small pets at home, like guinea pigs or mice, make sure to keep them away from the Beagle Poodle. Things will get chaotic once they start to give chase.
- They can become mischievous. When neglected, Beagle Poodles tend to act in a playful manner. This is part of their actions to get their owners’ attention. They will do things like hiding random objects, mess up household items, or be overly playful with their owners. If you notice them doing some of the activities mentioned, maybe it’s time to spend some hours playing with your Beagle Poodle.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Beagle Mixed With Poodle
- They are very friendly. Beagle Poodles are sociable animals. They socialize well with kids and adults alike, making them great household pets. You will not have any problems with this pet around when it comes to having guests. When you are taking them out for a walk, it is an excellent idea to let them interact with other pets and their owners. This is to sharpen their social skills as well.
- They are loyal to their owners. Beagles are a naturally loyal breed. This is shown by Snoopy, the most famous cartoon Beagle of all. He never leaves the side of Charlie Brown, always accompanying him around no matter what he does. Once you have a Beagle Poodle as your pet, you will experience this same level of loyalty. Make sure to let your dog feel that it is loved, and it will love you back.
- They love to have fun. Playtime is a favorite activity of Beagle Poodles. Whether they are running around outside or tinkering with toys inside, Beagle Poodles will always find a way to entertain themselves. When they are bonding with you, it is a guarantee that you will have fun playing with them as well.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Poodle Mixed With Beagle
|Weight||11 to 25 lbs|
|Height||9 to 16 inches|
|Size||Small to Medium|
|Coat Type||Long, short, thin, thick|
|Coat Color||White, black, cream, gray, brown, white and brown, golden, tricolor|
|Amount of Shedding||Minimal|
|Temperament||Friendly, Outgoing, Intelligent|
|Life Expectancy||10 to 13 years|
|New Owner Friendly||Yes|
Poodle Beagles are very friendly pets. Whenever they get a chance, they will interact with other dogs and other people around them. The Poodle side of the dog makes it always crave to be the center of attention, so expect your pet to bark and jump around just to be noticed. It may try to disturb you if it sees that you are preoccupied and it is feeling a bit neglected.
Beagle Poodles also have a great sense of service and loyalty. Their hunting traits make them excellent watchdogs, keeping pests and would-be thieves at bay. Once they recognize the members of your family, they will do their best to love and protect everyone. When being trained, they will also try to impress the owners by trying to learn tricks quickly and getting their master’s approval.
Beagle Poodle Cross-Breed Puppies for Sale
For first-time pet owners, it is crucial that their initial experience with a dog should be memorable and worth it. They should be paired up with a pet that will make them experience all the good parts of owning a dog. For this purpose, the Beagle Poodle is an excellent choice as a first pet. It is a loyal and fun-loving dog that any owner will readily appreciate.
As with any pet, however, owning a Beagle Poodle is not always sunshine and rainbows. Both of its parents have risks to their health that the cross-breed may inherit. A rule of thumb for those looking for a new pet is to inquire about the possible health risks that their pet may experience. The more knowledge they gain about their pets’ disease susceptibilities, the better they can prepare themselves for any eventuality.
One common source of pets is your nearby pet stores. They have a wide selection of dogs for any owner to choose from. However, there is a risk involved with getting a pet from a large-scale emporium. Because of the large number of dogs under their care, they may not be able to monitor each one of them accurately. They will most likely miss out on small occurrences that could lead to more significant health issues once the dog is turned over to owners.
The abovementioned reason is why we are recommending new owners to check out small-scale dog breeders. They have fewer dogs to take care of, which ensures that they will be able to give enough attention to every single one. Given each dog breed’s differing requirements for food and exercise, there is a higher chance that small-scale breeders can meet the demands of all the dogs under their watch.
Also, since they can pay closer attention to each dog’s growth, they will be able to trace their medical history as well. Once you decide to buy a Beagle Poodle, you will be able to inquire about all the diseases and inborn health issues of your new pet from the breeder. As a result, you can easily anticipate future medical occurrences.
Some good sources of Poodle Beagles are below:
You can also visit your nearest rescue center and see if they have dogs for sale. Some examples are below:
- Pet Rescue By Judy (Sanford, FL)
- Humane Society of the United States (Washington, DC)
- Rescue Me! (Washington, DC)
- Northshore Animal League America (Port Washington, NY)
- Palm Valley Animal Center (Edinburg, TX)
Grooming Your Poodle Beagle Cross-Breed
The brushing requirements of a Beagle Poodle depends on whether it inherits a short coat or a long coat. If it has a short coat, you may brush your pet every other day. The maximum is around three times a week. If it has a longer coat, you should brush its fur more often to minimize tangling. Don’t worry about the dog shedding a lot, though, since Beagle Poodles are known to have minimal shedding.
Aside from the fur, you should also make sure to trim your dog’s nails and clean its teeth. You may also give it baths when needed. Use dog shampoo to keep its coat clean and fresh. If you don’t have a lot of time to groom your dog correctly, you may opt to take it to dog groomers for proper cleaning.
Beagle Combined With Poodle Health Problems
As mentioned above, Beagle Poodles are prone to certain health risks from their parents. Some of them are below:
- Hyperthyroidism: This is when your dog’s thyroid gland is not producing enough. This leads to several symptoms such as thinner than regular coats, weight gain but no appetite changes, and skin diseases. Your dog will also shed more excessively than usual. Upon detection of these symptoms, take your dog to the vet for proper treatment.
- Beagle Dwarfism: Beagle Poodles may inherit this from their Beagle parent. This is a condition wherein the dog is a lot smaller than usual. If your pet has extremely short legs and small size compared to other dogs of the same breed, then there’s a chance that it has this condition.
- Intervertebral Disk Disease: This occurs when there is compression in your dog’s spinal column due to fluid imbalance. This causes serious issues, such as back and neck soreness, sensation concerns, decreased bowel control, and paralysis, at worst. It’s essential to do all the necessary precautions to avoid this condition from occuring in your dog.
- Hip Dysplasia: This is an abnormality in the formation of your dog’s hips. When left unchecked, this will lead to arthritis and crippling lameness for your pet. One common cause of hip dysplasia is overeating, so it’s vital for you to watch how much your pet eats every day. Follow the recommended meal plan for your dog.
Poodle Combined With Beagle Food Requirements
Beagle Poodles are mildly energetic, meaning their tummies will be full, and their dietary needs met with any of the best dry dog food we found to best match the food requirements of most of the dogs. It’s a great idea to give them food that is rich in vitamins and minerals like Wellness Core Dog Food or Dog For Dog Food.
Invest in food specially formulated for small dogs so best dry dog food for small dogs would be a good start. Because of the size of your pooch, best large breed dry dog food may not be the best solution for a petite doggy.
Due to their tendency to overeat, pet owners that have Beagle Poodles must watch their pet’s diet and avoid worst dry dog food altogether. This is to avoid conditions such as hip dysplasia and obesity, which are precursors to more significant health problems.
It’s better to prevent these issues on time than let your dog suffer in the future. If you believe your dog has gained weight, you should consult the vet before trying to fix the problem using food supplements. Our in-depth review of Nutra Thrive dog food supplement will provide you all the info you need to learn more about the benefits of superfoods that can restore the dog’s ideal weight.
Find more high-quality brands below:
- Instinct By Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Small-Breed Grain Free Recipe with Real Duck: This is dry dog food made for small breeds such as the Beagle Poodle. It is made from natural ingredients, such as duck meat, natural carbohydrates, and vegetables. It provides your dog with enough nourishment without the use of grains, making this easier for your dogs to digest.
- Petcurean Go! Sensitivity + Shine Limited Ingredient Diet Duck Recipe: This dog food contains all-natural ingredients, such as de-boned duck meat, peas, lentils, and tapioca. It provides protein for your dog’s muscle growth, as well as vitamins and minerals to nourish their bodies and keep their coats shiny as well. It is also grain-free for better digestion.
- Purina Beneful IncrediBites: This is a special dog food formula made for small dogs. It contains real beef, healthy grains, and vegetables such as carrots and peas. Each bite is also appropriately sized for little mouths, making them easy to eat and chew. This gives them the energy they need for playtime, as well as 23 vitamins and minerals for a more nourished body and better digestion.
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Mini: Since small dogs are at a higher risk for tartar build-up, we recommend giving them this brand of dog food. It’s made with ingredients that help minimize tartar in dogs, reducing the risk for more significant oral health issues. It also promotes a healthier coat and better nourishment for your dog by giving it the necessary levels of DHA and EPA.
- Merrick Lil Plates Grain-Free: This is dog food made with 70% real meat, giving your dogs a lot of protein for muscle growth. If your dog is a picky eater, this brand offers different flavors, such as beef, chicken, salmon, or lamb. It also contains probiotics and has no grains, which promote a healthier digestion system for your dogs.
Your doggo’s diet should include red meat, rice, and vegetables. For small pups, these ingredients are found in best puppy food brands. Older furry pals should, on the other hand, switch to best senior dry dog food at a certain point in life. Doing so will better match their food requirements and help prevent obesity and other conditions that are triggered by it.
Beagle Poodle Mix Exercise Requirements
Poodle Beagles are fun-loving pets that are mildly energetic. Part of their playtime should be allowing them to run around and chase, due to their hunting traits. Aside from physical activity, Beagle Poodles also need mental stimulation to sharpen their innate intelligence. Thus, they need toys that will supply both of these needs.
Here are some samples of dog toys:
- Trixie Activity Flip Board Interactive Dog Toy: This is a perfect toy for your Beagle Poodle since it caters to the dog’s curiosity and helps sharpen its intellect. The toy is made of several chambers where dog treats can be placed. It has to figure out how to get the food in each container since not all can be opened the same way. It provides both entertainment and stimulation for your dog, plus it’s a unique way to feed them.
- Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Dog Toy: Pet owners commonly play fetch with their dogs using different objects. If you want to maximize your dog’s energy, use this toy to play with them. Once the ball is thrown, the rubber material makes it bounce around more, allowing your dog to give chase. This trains your dog’s hunting trait and gives it exercise at the same time.
- KONG Classic Dog Toy: This toy serves as both a physical exercise and mental stimulation object for your pet. It’s made from rubber and is durable enough for your dog to play around with. Also, it has a compartment where dog food can be placed, making your dog figure out how to get the treats from the inside.
Poodle Beagle Mix Training
Training the Beagle Poodle requires you to understand the intelligence and personality of both its parents. That way, you can better prepare yourself for the behavior of the mixed breed.
Beagles may be loyal, but it still needs to be trained to recognize that it must follow commands from its owner. This is due to its tendency to become stubborn sometimes. It also gets easily distracted when something grabs its attention. It will run towards what it saw, completely ignoring you in the process. It must be trained to keep focused on the task at hand.
Poodles are known to be one of the most intelligent breeds. Teaching a Poodle some tricks will come easy, provided that it is regularly exercised and mentally stimulated. They also bore easily, so constant activity and attention is needed. If everything goes well, a Poodle will be able to do tricks that not every dog can accomplish.
Overall, you’re dealing with a highly intelligent dog with a relatively short attention span. If you can find a way to balance the two personalities, you’ll be able to train your Beagle Poodle in no time. You may follow the tips below:
- Learn how to keep their attention. When you want to begin training your dog, start by strengthening your bonds. It helps if you learn more about their personality beforehand so that you’ll know what usually grabs your dog’s attention. Once you figure that out, you can quickly bring them back to you and make them focus on training.
- Reward their good behavior. Positive conditioning always helps a dog stay motivated. Once they learn to do a particular trick, give them rewards. You may use dog treats or give them more play time. The more they realize that their good behavior is met with rewards, the better they will perform during training and everyday life.
- Teach the dog to recognize you. Beagle Poodles need to be trained in obedience due to their highly distractable nature. Thus, you have to be able to establish that you are the alpha and they need to listen to you. Use dog clickers and whistles to grab their attention whenever they are straying so that you can focus more on honing their skills.
- Ensure regular exercise. An active dog is a more trainable dog. Allow your pet to roam around the place and make sure they get their daily dose of walks. They also love to socialize, so part of their exercise should be letting them play with other dogs and meet other people.
Beagle Mixed With Poodle And Families
Beagle Poodles are not only excellent pets for new owners, but they are also great companions for families. They exhibit the loyalty and serving attitudes of hunting breeds that your family will surely appreciate. They can watch over your household while you sleep and give your family love and affection during the daytime. After you and your wife get home from work, your dog will be there to relieve your stress.
Their small size makes them good playmates for children as well. They love to run around and play, so if you have active kids, let them play with the dog. This allows you to give both your children and your dog their much-needed exercise. Once the dog is trained, kids can also give them commands, so that bonding times will be more fun between them and the dog.
Taking care of your Beagle Poodle makes it happy, and a happy dog also means a happy household. Getting a pet that gives your family more joy is always a worthy investment. If all goes well, a Beagle Poodle will live out its lifespan not only as a loyal family dog but also as an everyday companion and best friend.
- Patel, Shitalkumar, et al. “Identification of Appropriate QTc Formula in Beagle Dogs for Nonclinical Safety Assessment.” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 89, 25 July 2017, pp. 118–124., doi:10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.07.026.
- Friedenberg, Steven G., et al. “Evaluation of Artificial Selection in Standard Poodles Using Whole-Genome Sequencing.” Mammalian Genome, vol. 27, no. 11-12, 10 Aug. 2016, pp. 599–609., doi:10.1007/s00335-016-9660-9.
- Geeson, Eileen. Poodle. Pet Book Pub., 2009.
- Beagle. Kennel Club Books, 2010.