3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Border Collie Golden Retriever Mix
Table of Contents
- 1 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Border Collie Golden Retriever Mix
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Golden Retriever Mixed with a Border Collie
- 3 Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Border Collie Mixed with Golden Retriever
- 4 Golden Retriever Crossed with Border Collie Puppies for Sale
- 5 Grooming Your Golden Retriever Border Collie Mix Dogs
- 6 Golden Border Retriever Health Problems
- 7 Border Collie Mixed with Golden Retriever Food Requirements
- 8 Border Collie Crossed with a Golden Retriever Dog Exercise Requirements
- 9 Golden Retriever Border Collie Crossbreed Training
- 10 Border Collie Golden Retriever Crossbreed and Families
- 11 References:
- They shouldn’t be alone for a long time.
- They shed so much.
- Their intelligence can become annoying.
- Labrador + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Husky + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Bernese Mountain Dog + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Pitbull + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Corgi Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- German Shepherd + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Rottweiler Golden + Retriever Cross Breed
- Great Pyrenees + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Dachshund + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
- Australian Shepherd + Golden Retriever Cross Breed
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Golden Retriever Mixed with a Border CollieAside from the cons, adopting a Golden Retriever mixed with a Border Collie also has pros. Consider some of the following advantages:
- They are highly intelligent.
- They are excellent family pets.
- They can be your exercise buddy.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Border Collie Mixed with Golden Retriever
|Coat Type||Can be dense and rough; can also be soft and shaggy; straight at most breeds|
|Coat Color||Varying from red, tan, yellow, white, and black|
|Amount of Shedding||Frequent shedding due to genetics|
|Temperament||Affectionate, loving, intelligent, and playful|
Golden Retriever Crossed with Border Collie Puppies for SaleA Golden Retriever crossed with Border Collie mother can deliver an average of 1-4 litters. Because they are medium-sized, they can only hold a few puppies in their wombs. Once the puppies are ready for adoption, they should be free from diseases as screened by a veterinarian. You need to make sure that the breeder has high credibility, so you can verify if the money you will be shelling out is worth the puppy’s price. There are several characteristics considered in pricing a puppy. The price is dependent on the quality of the coat most of the times. Different genders also have different rates. A female puppy is usually more expensive than a male one because females can give birth. A female dog can be used for breeding in the future. A Golden Border Retriever puppy has an average cost of $750 to $1500. They are popular among crossbreeds. One more thing you should ask the breeder is the health history of the puppies. Upon their birth, they should be screened so you can know if they are free from certain diseases. Some crossbreeds are prone to disorders. Moreover, the puppies should receive the initial vaccines needed by a dog; the rabies vaccine can be included. To reduce the risks of diseases, proper vaccines should be given to the puppies before releasing for adoption. Below is a list where you can find credible breeders of Border Collie crossed with Golden Retriever puppies.
- Greenfield Puppies
- Golden Retriever Mix
- McGregor Goldens
Grooming Your Golden Retriever Border Collie Mix DogsRegarding the grooming of this mix, extensive processes are required. Since they are known to shed frequently, they can cause allergies and other irritations. The basic grooming processes needed are:
- Brushing their furs weekly with a solid bristle brush to prevent them from shedding their coats too much;
- Cleaning their ears weekly to prevent ear infections;
- Bathing of one to two times a month; and
- Having their nails trimmed once they get too long.
Golden Border Retriever Health ProblemsIf the parents of the mixes have disorders, the chances are high that the offspring can inherit the disorder. However, there are cases in which the puppies are healthy even if one of the parents is diagnosed with a disease. It is better to check the pedigree of the crossbreed to verify if it is free from a severe illness. In biology, there is an incident known as hybrid vigor; it means that the offspring is better than its parents in several aspects such as physical characteristics and health. When you adopt a Golden Retriever Border Collie crossbreed, these are the following disorders that can attack your puppy:
- Skin Allergies
- Heart Diseases
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Border Collie Mixed with Golden Retriever Food RequirementsResearches have proven that the amount of food intake in an individual dog is varying. The nutritional requirement of each dog is dependent on factors like weight, height, and the activities done by your dog. In the case of Border Collie mixed with Golden Retriever puppies, there is also no suggested food servings. For this breed, table foods or the foods consumed by humans cannot be fed to them. They are sensitive regarding the food they are eating. The dog food that you must give to the puppies should contain the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals for their growth. Puppies can be fed thrice in a day. As they grow, their needs for food is decreasing. To prevent obesity in dogs, a meal given twice in a day is recommended. Adults’ diet must include the number of proteins needed by the dog to perform its daily activities. Make a schedule on when to feed them so that they will be used to it; make sure to follow it regularly. In feeding your dogs, make sure to check the suggested amount of servings in the pack of the dog food that you bought. Monitoring the feeding habit of your dogs is essential. Their optimum performance will be achieved if they are given the right amount of food. There are also diets designed for highly skilled dogs. You should consult a veterinarian if you are planning a diet for your dog. Sometimes, the diet that you will make is not meant for your dog’s hobbies. Make sure to match their food matrix with their activities.
Border Collie Crossed with a Golden Retriever Dog Exercise RequirementsFrom puppies to adults, Border Collie crossed with a Golden Retriever are highly energized. They require long hours of exercise. An average of 90 minutes a day is recommended. The hours needed for their exercise is comparably longer to the number of minutes required by some breeds. The reason for this is their highly active lifestyle. Without exercise, the level of their energy can be difficult to match. Even if you are not supervising them, they can exercise on their own. Allocate a place in your home where they can play around. They will eventually stop exercising once they get tired because these dogs know their limits. If you have a backyard at your home, it is the perfect spot for your dog to exercise. Let it run around your yard. With that simple activity, risks of developing serious heart conditions can be reduced. Besides, extra calories can also be burned; therefore, they can be less prone to obesity. I’m sure you also need to burn those extra calories. As discussed, Golden Collie can make a great exercise companion. You can have them join you in your exercise routines such as:
- Playing frisbee
Golden Retriever Border Collie Crossbreed TrainingSince both parent breeds are highly intelligent, the hybrid is also smart; in most cases, crossbreeds have higher intellectual capacity than their parents. To further stimulate their mental capacity, proper training is required. Train them to become good house pets. Once they are trained, they will know your routines inside the house. Have them become familiarize with their own ‘restroom’ so that they will know the right places to release their wastes. Being a good house pet that they are, you can let them inside your house without destroying your stuff. If you don’t have enough time to do an exercise session, you can always give them work to do. Because they are obedient, they will do the job you asked them to. Of course, you should know what jobs they should do. You can let them open the door for you. But they will not wash the dishes for you because that sounds extreme for them. You should not force them in their training, take it slowly. For example, you can begin their training by teaching them how to fetch a ball. When they mastered the first trick, teach them another. Make sure to give them rewards or treats after a session. Because of their high intelligence, they can be trained easily. However, you should not set your expectations high for them because they are subjected to failure at most times. With their quick wits, they can become stubborn. Do not let their intellects become a nuisance for you. Establish a connection that you are their master and not them.
Border Collie Golden Retriever Crossbreed and FamiliesThis breed can develop strong relationships with families, especially with children. With their charismatic temperament, they are very lovable. Aside from being a pet, they can also be your child’s best friend. They are a very playful breed. However, during your dog and your child’s playtime, you should watch over your child. Do not let your child be alone with dogs. Your child might do activities that can irritate the dog, and the dog can release its aggressiveness on your child. The Golden Collie dogs develop a strong affection to its human family. They can be very clingy, and they are considered one of the most loyal breeds. The bonding you can form is steady. Even though they are good with people, they are aware if someone is a stranger. This mix will alert you if there is a stranger that is a bother to it. Since they are clingy, they can require a whole lot of attention from you. You can leave them in your house for no more than eight hours. They can get depressed easily once they are separated from their owners for a long time. They can become aggressive if they are always left alone. Make sure that there is someone who can monitor them most of the time. Or you can also talk to them and assure them that you will be out for work and you will be back. Communicate with them, they can understand you. If you’re asking if Golden Border Retriever puppies are an excellent choice to add to your family, I would say yes. Aside from their physical appearance which is very charming, their temperaments are also one of the primary reasons why you should get them.
- Holly, Vanessa L., et al. “Golden Retriever Cystic Uveal Disease: a Longitudinal Study of Iridociliary Cysts, Pigmentary Uveitis, and Pigmentary/Cystic Glaucoma over a Decade in Western Canada.” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 3, 29 June 2015, pp. 237–244., doi:10.1111/vop.12293.
- Taylor, Susan, et al. “Border Collie Collapse: Owner Survey Results and Veterinary Description of Videotaped Episodes.” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 52, no. 6, 29 Sept. 2016, pp. 364–370., doi:10.5326/jaaha-ms-6436.
- Bauer, Nona Kilgore. Golden Retrievers for Dummies. Hungry Minds, 2000
- Gregory, Judith. The Border Collie: Your Essential Guide from Puppy to Senior Dog. Pet Book Publishing Company, Limited, 2014.
Last Updated on