3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Chihuahua Corgi Mix
Table of Contents
- 1 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Chihuahua Corgi Mix
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Corgi Crossed with Chihuahua
- 3 Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Corgi Chihuahua Mix
- 4 Other Corgi & Chihuahua Mixes
- 5 Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Puppies for Sale
- 6 Grooming Your Chihuahua Mixed with Corgi
- 7 Corgi Chihuahua Mix Health Problems
- 8 Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Food Requirements
- 9 Chihuahua Crossed with Corgi Exercise Requirements
- 10 Chihuahua Corgi Mix Training
- 11 Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua and Families
- 12 References:
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Corgi Crossed with Chihuahua1. Size suitable for apartment living Some owners want dogs with smaller sizes for various reasons. One reason is that some people are intimidated by large dogs. Another reason is the availability of space at home and the convenient size for traveling. Smaller dogs will take up less space in the house, particularly for those living in apartments. It will be easier to carry around a small dog to different places than a massive dog. 2. Great Family Companion This trait encompasses devotion and approachability to all the family members. Their intense loyalty to your family comes as second nature to these puppies. 3. Intelligent and Eager to Learn This trait is an advantage for the owners who want to train their dogs. The Chihuahua Corgis crave learning. They are also eager to please. The combinations of these characteristics will make the drills easier compared to other dog breeds. You should get your treats ready for them because they will more willingly grant your requests.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Corgi Chihuahua Mix
Other Corgi & Chihuahua MixesPicking the breed of dog that aligns with your lifestyle is extremely important. Every year tens of thousands of dogs are put up for adoption because the owner didn’t do their research. Not sure the Chihuahua Corgi aligns with your lifestyle? Consider adopting one of 50+ popular Corgi mixes or Chihuahua mixes.
|Weight||10 to 20 pounds|
|Height||7 to 12 inches|
|Coat Type||Medium or long in length|
|Coat Color||can be a combination of white, black, red, brown|
|Amount of Shedding||Little to moderate|
|Temperament||Friendly, Loving, Intelligent, Craves Attention, Social, Alert|
|Life Expectancy||12 to 14 years|
|New Owners Friendly||Yes|
|Breed Recognition||ACHC, DBR, DDKC, DRA, IDCR|
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Puppies for SaleThere are certain traits that professional breeders possess which separate them from unreliable ones. One of these traits is the ability to answer your inquiries about the dog breed. This shows the extent of their knowledge and expertise in rearing and caring for the crossbreed. Another characteristic is the availability of verified papers and appropriate documentation. These will aid you in the proper management of your new dog. You should be aware that some sellers promote the ‘Mini Chihuahua’. In reality, these dogs are normal Chihuahuas with smaller measurements than the average Chihuahua population. You will save money if you do not fall for this tactic. You can also share this information with your circle of influence. A good chat and meaningful exchanges with the breeder are crucial in building rapport. You need this connection with the breeder to ensure that he is reliable and competent. You will gain information about the genuine characteristics of the parent breeds and offsprings. The price of the Chihuahua Corgi mix dogs could range from $300 to $1000, based on their parent breeds’ prices. There is currently no available list of verified breeders for the Corgi Chihuahua Mix dogs. Below is a list of reputable breeders for the parent breeds:
- Pembroke Welsch Corgi Puppies by Breeder Ditto in Big Sandy, TX
- Trifecta Pembroke Welsch Corgis in Lexington, SC
- Outlands Corgis in Latah, WA
- Stone Prairie Puppies in Mount Vernon, MO
- Thompson’s Corgis in Stratford, WI
- ChiChi Babies Chihuahuas in Arkansas
- YankeeBelle Chihuahuas in Maine
- Lucas Chihuahuas in Mississippi
- Cathy’s Charming Chihuahuas in New York
- BonBon Chihuahuas in Texas
Grooming Your Chihuahua Mixed with CorgiThe Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dogs need a moderate to average maintenance for grooming. They shed lightly to moderately, depending on the inherited maternal and paternal genes. This mixed breed needs low-maintenance grooming. You may use a metal, medium-toothed comb for its coat once or twice each week. In combing the coat, make sure to take time in untangling knots in the coat. You should also remove the pup’s collar to smooth out the coat at the neck area. Spring time means shedding that is heavier than usual for this crossbreed. During this period, you need to employ daily brushing and combing to ensure the shine and smoothness of the coat. Brushing will be done first then combing comes after. You will need to give this dog a bath when it is visibly dirty or smelly. The dog needs shampoo and conditioner with neutral pH ingredients such as aloe and oatmeal. Frequent bathing is not needed for the Corgi Chihuahua mix dogs. It can help facilitate a smoother shedding process. You will need a dog-friendly shampoo formula and a soft towel. The shampoo will be used, ensuring enough lathering on the skin. During days with cold weather, I recommend the use of a hair dryer set on the lowest mode to dry the dog’s skin more efficiently. The crevices of the small parts of this dog needs to be checked regularly. There is an increased risk of infections for small spaces in the dog’s body. Wax buildup in the ears must be monitored, and signs of an ear infection should be detected early on the grooming process. To prevent the aggravation of symptoms, use a cotton ball and a dog-specific ear solution for cleaning the ears. You should never use a cotton swab for their ears. You should avoid tartar buildup in the Chihuahua Corgis’ teeth by using a pet toothbrush and toothpaste at least once a week. This maintenance will help keep the gums strong and avoid getting bad breath. You can contact professional groomers around your neighborhood or near the city to help you maintain an effective grooming routine. Your dog’s physical appearance and possible defects must be monitored in a regular basis. This will lead ultimately to the improvement of the dog’s health.
Corgi Chihuahua Mix Health ProblemsThe Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dog has a life expectancy of 12 to 14 years. Random selection plays a vital role in designating the vulnerabilities and strengths of the crossbreeds. Breeders cannot be 100% certain that the future generation of crossbreeds will inherit the better part of the parents’ genes. There will be instances that the maternal genes will manifest more than the parental genes. This possibility should alarm you and guide you in prioritizing the health of your crossbreed. Here’s a list of some of the common health issues seen in a cross between a Chihuahua and a Corgi:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Skin problems
- Patellar luxation
- Tracheal collapse
- Eye diseases
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Food RequirementsGetting through the dog’s daily activity highlights the importance of adequate nutrition. The adequate nutrition depends on the quantity and quality of the meals. The genetic predisposition, weight, size, and physical activity level of the dog determine the amount of food it needs. The general amount of food suitable for an adult Chihuahua Corgi mix dog may vary from 1/2 cup to 1 cups of high-quality kibbles. It is advisable to divide the food servings into two meals each day. Compared to wet dog food, dry food formulation contributes to the cleanliness and strength of the puppy’s teeth and gums. Below is a list of the recommended dry food for the Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dogs.
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Reduced Fat: This dog food encourages the maintenance of healthy weight for this crossbreed. Its Corgi parent breed increases its risk for becoming overweight and obese. It contains ingredients to ensure the health of the immune system, the integument, the teeth and gums, and the digestive system. It is 100% free of grains, making this formulation more suitable for dogs with sensitive appetite.
- Nutrisource Sm/Med Breed Dry Puppy Food: This rice and chicken dog food formulation has bite-size shapes for easier feeding and digestion. It has a comprehensive supplement system that prevents diarrhea and boosts the immune system. It consists of 32% crude protein, 21% crude fat, and 5% crude fiber. It has iron, copper, manganese, and zinc which are essential for the dog’s growth and development.
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature’s Variety: This dry food features the first raw boosted dog meal. It contains a balanced nutrition for various sizes of dogs. It has real chicken, beef, or lamb varieties.
- CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Dry Food: This formulation contains high levels of lamb, fish, turkey, and chicken. It also has antioxidants, probiotics, and healthy fatty acids. It is devoid of soy and wheat.
Chihuahua Crossed with Corgi Exercise RequirementsGetting a Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dog entails engaging it to a moderate level of physical activity. There needs to be enough mental and physical stimulation to avoid boredom. The duration of physical activity should be at least 30 minutes. The happiness of the dog will rise with adequate and regular exercise because it triggers the production of the “happy hormones”. You can engage the dog to physical activities such as walking and fetching. You may opt to bring the dog outside. The Kurgo’s No Pull Dog Harness will come in handy during walk sessions. It helps protect the trachea of this small dog and support the body of the dog. You may opt to conduct indoor exercises for the dog as well. The durable IRIS 24″ 4-Panel Pet Playpen is a low-budget and spacious playpen to keep the dog from escaping the house. It comes in a variety of colors and folds easily for better storage. It is portable and easy to assemble. You can help trigger the happy hormones by using the Leaps & Bounds Chomp and Chew Latex Penguin Dog Toy. This toy keeps the dog preoccupied and helps expend the dog’s energy efficiently. It has a squeaker that will make the fetching activity more fun for the Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dog.
Chihuahua Corgi Mix Training
The Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dogs are compliant, dutiful, and brilliant. Training will be necessary to allow the dog to achieve its best behavior. Here are three tips on training the Chihuahua Corgis:
- Early Socialization: The pup will grow to become more confident in dealing with external forces and people. This process will improve its chances in becoming therapy dogs, herders, or therapy dogs. The recommended initiation of the socialization is around 2 1/2 weeks. This period involves the interaction of the owner and the dog through gentle touches and lifting. The process progresses to the next stage that happens during the four weeks of age to 16 weeks of age. This stage consists of walking through different textures, smell, and people around the neighborhood.
- Leash Training: This is an important part of obedience training, especially when you go around the neighborhood during walking exercises. The initial step involves allowing the dog to freely roam around the area. You will then start directing the crossbreed in a certain direction with a gentle tug on the leash.
- Positive Rewards-based System: An integral part of training is the reward for doing the activity. This training technique mainly involved pet treats, encouraging words, and physical affection. It ensures the intimate bond between the dog and the owner. It helps the dog see the owner as an affectionate figure of authority.
- Use simple commands: The obedience training for this crossbreed involves using monosyllabic words for easier understanding. These words include ‘sit’, ‘stay’, ‘no’ and ‘stop’. Their intelligence will make the training run more smoothly.
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua and FamiliesThe Corgi Chihuahua Mix dogs have an excellent rapport with children. These adorable pups make fantastic pets as they inherit the friendliness and affectionate nature of their parent breeds. As with other dog breeds, I advise you to monitor the dog-child interactions. Early socialization, one component of the training, will play a vital role in the social growth of the Chihuahua crossed with Corgi pup. You must help the kids learn how to approach the dog in a friendly manner as well. Corgi mixed with Chihuahua pups are loving to families. They possess a good-natured temperament, and they love spending time around people. It is not ideal to leave the dog alone for a long time because they often crave attention. You could ask someone to take care your dog or you can drop off your dog at a pet daycare facility if you are planning to be away for a trip.
- Oyake, Kanae, et al. “Changes in Respiratory Function in Pembroke Welsh Corgi Dogs with Degenerative Myelopathy.” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 78, no. 8, 24 Apr. 2016, pp. 1323–1327., doi:10.1292/jvms.15-0521.
- Kiviranta, A.-M., et al. “Syringomyelia and Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities in Chihuahuas.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, 11 Sept. 2017, pp. 1771–1781., doi:10.1111/jvim.14826.
- Harper, Deborah S. Pembroke Welsh Corgi: An Owners Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet. Howell, 1999.
- Wilcox, Charlotte. The Chihuahua. Capstone High/Low Books, 1999.
Last Updated on