Big dogs need big beds, but it isn’t just the size of the bed that matters. Your big dog needs a bed that is deep enough to prevent their joints from touching the ground, big enough that they can sprawl or cuddle as they prefer, and comfortable enough that your big dog will love it.
I checked out the five best dog beds for large dogs like Great Danes and other giant breeds to find out which is the best pick for your big baby.
Who needs a big dog bed?
Obviously, big dogs need big beds. If you have a Great Dane, Mastiff, Saint Bernard, Newfoundland, or another giant breed, you need a bed that is big and supportive enough for them to be comfortable.
Big dogs love their beds. Watch what happens when this guy steals his Great Dane’s dog bed.
Studies have found that people sleep better on better beds, which reduces stress. The same is likely true of your dog. A comfortable bed will make your big dog less stressed. We
You may also need a very big dog bed if you have several smaller dogs such as a couple of labradors or a pack of terriers that all like to sleep together.
It is important to consider the overall weight that a given bed is designed to support as you choose the right bed for your dog or dogs. If your dogs weigh more than the bed is supposed to support, it will wear out and sag, causing your dog’s joints to rest on the ground uncomfortably.
Features to look for in a dog bed for large dogs
You want the best for your big dog but you don’t want to spend more than you need to; you certainly don’t want to spend good money only to find that the bed you purchased doesn’t hold up or meet your dog’s needs. Here are some things to keep in mind when you are shopping.
You don’t have to choose an orthopedic dog bed for your big dog, but if your dog is very large, getting older, or has already experienced issues with arthritis or joint problems, an orthopedic bed is a good choice. Orthopedic memory foam is designed to support joints and relieve pressure points and can make a significant difference in your dog’s quality of life.
The thicker the foam, the better. Naturally, you will have to spend more on genuine orthopedic dog beds. If your dog is prone to destruction or is a heavy nester, you may want to wait until they really need an orthopedic dog bed to make the investment.
Big dogs need big beds. That said, you don’t want your dog’s bed to take up most of your living room. Dogs that sprawl out may need a larger bed than dogs who like to cuddle into their bed. Beds with bolsters may end up taking up more room than the sleeping space your dog needs while beds that don’t have bolsters will naturally require less space. Carefully consider both how much space your dog needs and how much space you are willing to give up for a dog bed when making your decision.
Your dog’s bed will likely be an evident part of your living room or bedroom. You want to choose a bed that goes well with your home’s look. Some beds only come in neutral colors while other beds have interesting geometric designs that may either blend in with your household style or stand out unattractively. Do some research and choose a dog bed that offers a range of colors and designs or has a style that you like.
Some dogs like to snuggle deep into the recesses of their beds. Such dogs tend to circle a lot and nest heavily by scratching and digging at their bed before they settle down. Other dogs are more prone to sprawling. They may drop down on their bed with legs or body parts sticking off and minimal nesting.
Your dog’s sleeping style is an important element of the bed that you choose. Dogs that nest and snuggle a lot need a bed that can hold up to some digging. It is likely that such a dog would appreciate bolsters to feel more “nestled” inside the sleeping space. On the other hand, dogs that sprawl will do better with only one bolster or no bolsters at all. Some dogs like sleeping in both ways and need a versatile bed.
Washing and wear
Your big dog’s bed is going to get dirty. If you have a breed prone to drooling, like a Mastiff or a Newfoundland, you will probably need to wash the bed regularly so it doesn’t begin smelling like your dog’s mouth.
If you have a dog that drools on the bed a lot, you may want to choose a bed that not only has a removable cover but has a waterproof layer underneath so the wetness does not soak into the mattress. Another option is to choose a bed that allows you to wash the entire thing so that you can remove every trace of your dog’s dirt and mess.
5 Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Like Great Danes and Other Giant Breeds
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement...
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing
If you are willing to pay for a bed that offers the best possible comfort and reduced joint pain for your dog, this solid orthopedic mattress may be a good choice.
This bed offers six solid inches of memory foam with 50 inches by 40 inches of sleeping space. The 13-inch height is tall enough for your dog to lie down and get up without straining their joints.
There is a removable outer cover that is fully machine washable. Beneath it is a waterproof inner layer that keeps the memory foam mattress safe even if soiling seeps through the outer layer. This bed comes in three attractive colors so it will integrate aesthetically into your living space.
- Six solid inches of memory foam base for real orthopedic comfort
- Soft removable cover is machine washable, comes in three colors, and is resistant to water and tears
- Waterproof inner layer to keep the memory foam safe even if the outer cover is soaked
- Bed is designed to hold dogs weighing up to 200 pounds; also a good choice for two large dogs to share a bed
- Cozy bolsters for your dog to snuggle into
- One of the more expensive options on the market
- Bolsters take up a fair amount of room, so your very large dog may not be able to spread out as much as they like
- This bed sticks out quite far, with a depth of 40 inches, so it may be hard to find a space to put it in your house
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Furhaven Sofa Pet Dog Bed features a three-bolster design that allows your pup to sleep in a variety of positions, while providing plenty of cushioned headrest space and cozy...
- SLEEP SURFACE: Plush faux fur tops the mattress cushion, accompanied by fluffy bolsters wrapped in silken velvet. Both materials are gentle on noses and paws, offering a mix of luxurious coziness and...
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg-crate foam base helps to evenly distribute body weight to improve circulation, while the recycled fluffy railings provide orthopedic support for aching joints. The bed is also...
Here is a couch for your big dog that may even tempt you to sleep on it. A sleeping surface of 32 inches by 29 inches is sufficient for most big dogs to curl up on comfortably. This bed can easily sleep dogs up to 95 pounds. The orthopedic mattress soothes your dog’s pressure points while providing airflow so the bed isn’t too hot.
The three-bolster design not only makes this bed look like a charming couch but also makes it comfortable for your dog to snuggle in a variety of positions or sprawl their legs off the side. The plush faux fur cover is removable so you can easily wash it or replace it as needed.
The material is gentle on your dog’s nose and skin and encourages nestling. It’s also very easy to spot clean and machine washable. This bed comes in a wide variety of colors and bolster designs so you can choose a look that is perfect for your home.
- The orthopedic mattress gives support that large dogs need for their joints and bones
- The two-zipper design makes it easy to remove the cover for machine washing
- Cozy, cushiony bolsters are perfect for snuggling
- Comes in a wide range of colors and designs
- Very affordable compared to other orthopedic beds
- The foam may have orthopedic effects but it’s not the memory foam gel that you may think of as an orthopedic bed
- Fabric will give way to even relatively light nesting behavior like scratching and digging
- Supports better sleep: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality giant donut cuddler puppy bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up! The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and...
- Superior Comfort: Cozy, flexible and finished with faux shag fur, our self-warming oversized dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat! Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow,...
- Versatile design: includes a completely removable zippered shell. There are 3 zippers, allowing the inner cushions to easily be removed and re-inserted. And because the shells finished with water and...
Big dogs like to snuggle up too. This plush, cozy donut is 45 by 45 inches, and large enough for dogs up to 150 pounds. While this bed isn’t orthopedic, the thick, plush pillows offer a lot of support and comfort and keep your dog’s joints well off the ground.
Plush shag faux fur will inspire your dog to snuggle and nestle into it. This bed accommodates sprawling as well. Since there aren’t any bolsters to get in the way, your dog can really stretch out and relax on this bed.
The furry shell is completely removable. Three zippers allow inner cushions to be removed and reinserted easily.
- Round shape that encourages your dog to cuddle and snuggle but also allows sprawling
- Luxurious faux-fur inspires snuggling but is tough enough to resist nesting behavior
- Deep, plush pillows offer a lot of support despite not being orthopedic, so your dog’s joints won’t rest against the ground
- Removable and machine washable cover and removable cushions
- Expensive for a bed that doesn’t offer memory foam
- Dogs that nest and scratch a lot may dislodge the cushions so that their joints rest on the ground
- Faux fur will break down over time with machine washing and use
- HIGH QUALITY COMFORT: The therapeutic gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis, and giving optimal therapeutic support. It also works great...
- WATERPROOF & MACHINE WASHABLE: Easily combat accidents and keep your dog’s bed looking and smelling fresh and clean. No more messes! The zippered cover slides off seamlessly for convenient cleaning!...
- MULTIPLE SIZES: Pick the perfect size for your pup! Available in Small (16" x 24" x 3"), Medium (29" x 18" x 3”), Large (22" x 35” x 3”), and Extra Large (41" x 29" x4”). Arrives as a vacuum...
Do you want a memory foam bed for your dog, but are worried about spending too much right away? If your dog prefers sprawling to snuggling, this straightforward memory foam bed might be right for them. This is an affordable but authentic orthopedic memory foam bed with 4 inches of solid memory foam. Therapeutic memory foam gel is very comfortable and relieves your dog’s joints and pressure points.
This bed is resistant to water and the cover can be removed by zipper and machine washed.
Four inches isn’t as much as it may sound like, so this bed is likely to wear down resulting in your big dog’s joints resting on the ground before too long. However, if you are trying to decide whether your dog is likely to destroy an orthopedic bed or you just want something comfy for your dog to nap on, this might be a good choice.
- Very affordable authentic memory foam bed
- Comes in a range of attractive colors that will look good in any home
- The water-resistant cover is removable and machine washable
- No bolsters, so your dog can sprawl out and relax
- Four inches of memory foam isn’t very thick; large dogs will likely wear it out quickly
- Most dogs prefer at least one or two bolsters
- No waterproof layer to keep messes from soaking from the cover into the bed
- Dimensions: Approximately 52"L x 35"W x 11"H. Perfect pet bed for extra large sized dogs between 70 - 100 lbs
- Waterproof Denier Base: Base of round bagel bed is made of waterproof 300/600 Denier for any unwanted accidents or spills
- Premium Materials: The dog bed is stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fil and is fully machine washable. Gentle cycle, air dry
This is a fun bed for dogs that like to sprawl or snuggle, with its distinct rounded design and cushy inside. Your dog will get 35 inches by 52 inches of snuggling space. While this isn’t an orthopedic bed, it has 11 inches of plush padding that will do a good job of keeping your dog’s joints off the ground.
This bed is designed to offer spine support and let your dog rest their head comfortably and straighten their spine. The non-slip base is made of a waterproof 300/600 denier material so it won’t absorb moisture from the ground. You can feel good about this high-quality bed that is made in the USA. There are a range of colors to choose from so that you can find the perfect bed for your space.
- A good-looking dog bed that fits well in most spaces
- Made for dogs up to 100 pounds, offering 52 by 35 inches of sleeping space
- Eleven inches of cozy padding keeps your dog off the ground
- Bolster design for spine support so your dog can rest their head comfortably
- The waterproof base doesn’t soak up water from below
- Comes in a range of fun colors that look good in any space
- The entire bed is machine washable
- The bed may lose its shape after multiple washing cycles
- Not orthopedic so doesn’t offer as much support as it could
- Will not hold up too much nesting behavior
Whether your big dog likes to sprawl or cuddle, and whether they are young or getting on in years, you can find the perfect large dog bed to fit their needs. It is important to keep in mind your dog’s sleeping style, medical concerns, and destructiveness when deciding which bed is right for your dog and how much you can afford to spend.
If you’re on the fence about which bed to choose, you may want to try a less expensive option and then work your way up to the best orthopedic bed for your large dog. If you want to skip to the best possible bed for your large dog, you’ll probably want to choose the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed, Orthopedic Memory Foam.