5 Best Rolled Leather Dog Collars
There are few collars that look more attractive than a rolled leather dog collar. Rolled leather won’t cause your long-coated dog’s hair to mat or get tangled like other collars might.
Rolled leather is a strong material that can hold up to powerful breeds. I looked for the 5 best rolled-leather dog collars on the market to see which ones offer enough quality for your dog.
What is rolled leather?
Rolled leather collars are made of real leather that has been bent and stitched together to create a rounded shape, instead of the usual flat shape. They can be soft and flexible or quite stiff, depending on the quality and thickness of the leather. Rolled leather dog collars tend to be half an inch or less in width.
Why rolled leather?
Here are some reasons you might choose rolled leather over other possible materials for your dog’s collar.
Rolled leather is one of the stronger materials that you are likely to find in a dog collar. Rolled leather collars buckle or slip over the head. Most people choose a rolled leather dog collar because they need a strong collar and don’t want to rely on a click closure.
If you want to make sure you have a collar that will hold up to your dog’s strength, a rolled leather dog collar might be a good option.
Rolled leather looks beautiful on your dog. The rolled portion tends to vanish into your dog’s coat, while the short flat portion carrying the tags looks very attractive against your dog’s chest. You can choose from a range of colors and styles and between brass and silver hardware.
Unlikely to rub or grab hair
One of the primary reasons that you may be looking for a rolled leather dog collar is because you have had problems with dog collars pulling your long-haired dog’s coat or causing mats. Rolled leather tends to hang loose on your dog’s coat and does not rub against the neck or get tangled in long hair. This makes a rolled leather collar a great choice for any long-haired breed such as Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, and Huskies.
Easy to grab
Rolled leather feels comfortable in your hand as well as on your dog’s neck, so if you often need to take your dog by the collar to guide them, you’ll appreciate the increased ease and comfort of a rolled leather collar.
Relatively sharp correction compared to wider collars
Most rolled leather collars are relatively thin, which means they may provide a sharper correction to your dog that a broad, flat collar would. If you have a powerful dog that has a hard time focusing and tends not to obey when you try to pull him in, the pressure from a narrow rolled leather collar may get his attention.
Here are some features to keep in mind while you are shopping for a rolled leather dog collar. This type of collar has some special requirements worth keeping in mind.
Martingale vs buckle
You have two options in how your rolled leather dog collar fits. Buckle collars connect like a belt loop around your dog’s neck. A belt buckle closure offers a secure way to fasten your dog’s collar.
Martingale collars generally slip over your dog’s head. Martingales provide a limited tightening, which will keep your dog from slipping out. If your dog tends to be an escape artist, the martingale is the best choice for them.
Both options are very secure.
You are choosing a rolled leather dog collar for function as well as looks. You may want a collar that is a particular color or a dignified leather collar with solid metal hardware. Whatever is in your mind, don’t be afraid to go after a rolled leather collar that has the look you are going for.
Just because two products appear similar at first doesn’t mean that they’ll look alike a few years down the line. A higher-quality rolled leather dog collar can last your dog through their lifetime and look great the whole time.
The thinner your dog’s collar, the sharper the pressure will be when your dog pulls against the collar. If your dog tends to pull or lunge on the collar, you want to choose the thickest rolled leather dog collar that you can find.
Dogs that pull a lot or that may be prone to injury of the neck, back, or trachea should not use a rolled leather dog collar since it exerts considerably more pressure than a wider collar or a harness.
On the other hand, if your powerful dog is pulling you along sidewalks, you may want a collar that is thin enough that they will feel your guidance via the leash … and strong enough to hold up. In other words, you should be the one walking your dog and not the other way around.
If you are choosing a collar to serve your dog for the long-term, you want a collar that is very durable. Choose a model that has weatherproofed stitching, which will better resist fraying and wear and tear. Full-grain leather can hold up to the elements better than composite material. Solid hardware is less likely to corrode.
5 Best Rolled Leather Dog Collars
- Leather rolled collar for distinctive dogs, Measure from the start of the buckle to the middle hole
- Provides beauty, durability, comfort and minimal stretch
- Provides a little extra comfort for long-haired dogs
Mendota is known for making high-quality slip leads chosen by animal shelters, kennels, and boarding facilities across America. It should be no surprise that this leather collar is of the highest quality and very attractive. This collar promises minimal stretch compared to other rolled leather collars.
It has an attractive deep red color, which looks stunning on most dogs, especially when paired with the solid brass hardware. These collars are handcrafted from fine English bridle leather, so you know the collar has the quality to last. This sturdy collar is a great choice for strong or powerful dogs that may put some resistance on the collar.
- Trusted maker of slip leads and collars for many years
- Minimal stretch compared to other rolled leather collars
- Handcrafted for durability through the years
- Made from the finest English bridle leather
- Solid brass hardware is resistant to corrosion and has a regal appearance
- An excellent choice for powerful dogs
- Sizes for dogs with necks from 14in to 24in
- This is one of the more expensive options on the market
- Tends to be stiff, especially on arrival, so you may want to break it in with your hands before putting it on your dog
- The size of this collar is designed to fit dogs with neck circumference of 7"-8". Total length of this collar including the buckle is 11", width is 3/8", weight is about 13 grams. Please measure your...
- Rolled Dog Collar. Made out of specially treated very soft genuine leather. Rolled (Round) collars are particularly well suited for long haired dog breeds. The round shape prevents tangling and...
- Handmade leather dog collars and puppy collars is a perfect combination of style, high quality and comfort. These leather collars for adult dogs as well as puppies are comfortable, pliable, light and...
Looking for a straightforward and effective rolled leather collar in your choice of colors and don’t want to pay more than you have to? Look no further. These attractive collars come in a wide range of colors, from natural leather to bright turquoise and pink.
These collars are made out of specially treated genuine leather to make them soft and pliable. They are handmade with high-quality hardware so they are durable as well as attractive.
These collars work very well for small dogs or dogs with more delicate necks, as long as they don’t pull too hard. You can also add a matching rolled leather dog leash, which is sold separately.
- Range of attractive colors to choose from
- Very affordable option
- Sizes to fit necks from 6in to 21 in
- Sturdy hardware will hold up to your dog
- The buckle is tucked behind the leather so that hair won’t get tangled in the hardware
- Soft leather may not hold up to intense pulling
- The loop that holds the tail of collar is a bit loose on small sizes
- May stretch over time, requiring adjustment
- This is a martingale collars for dogs large. This size may fit a dog with 26" - 27" neck girth. Collar width is 1/2”. Please measure your dog’s neck girth with a soft measuring tape to choose...
- Martingale dog collars made out of specially treated very soft genuine leather. Rolled (Round) collars are particularly well suited for long haired dog breeds. The round shape prevents tangling and...
- Leather dog collars and puppy collars is a perfect combination of style, high quality and comfort. leather dog collars and puppy collars is a perfect combination of style, high quality and comfort....
This collar offers the same high-quality craftsmanship and range of colors of the buckle rolled leather dog collars but it comes in a Martingale design so that your dog won’t be able to slip out of it. The loop of the Martingale is wide enough to allow a fair amount of flexibility when sizing this collar.
This is the perfect collar for long-haired dogs that may have their coat rubbed uncomfortably by a traditional wide Martingale. These attractive collars come in a range of colors. A leash can be purchased separately to match the collar.
- Martingale design offers a limited tightening that will keep your dog from slipping out
- Range of attractive colors to choose from
- Matching leather leashes available separately
- High-quality hardware and handmade workmanship
- A great choice for long-haired sighthounds
- Sizes for necks from 22in to 27in
- No built-in space for tag attachment
- Slipover martingale is difficult for some people to put on
- It may take a couple of tries to get the sizing right
- Coordinating leads are available in multiple widths and sizes
- Leather collars and leashes have a classic American look that is perfect for all breeds
- Each collar and lead is stitched with strong weather resistant thread and edged and dyed beautifully
Do you want an attractive leather collar that has the looks of the most expensive leather collars at a fraction of the cost? This rolled leather collar has a classic American look in a deep burgundy or black color that looks stylish on most dogs.
These collars are stitched with strong weather-resistant thread to hold up through the years. The quality of this collar doesn’t compare to the most expensive options, but if you’re looking for an affordable collar that looks fashionable, this may be a good choice.
- Attractive leather collar at a fraction of the cost of more expensive rolled leather dog collars
- Weather-resistant stitching for durability
- Edged for durability
- You can choose between burgundy and black colors
- Choices between a 1/2″ to 3/4″ width in larger sizes or a 3/8″ width in the 12-inch collar
- Sizes that fit dogs with necks from 12in to 30in
- Quality is less than more expensive collars, showing in craftsmanship that is not handmade and hardware that is not solid brass
- Leather may not hold up to the elements for years on end
- Tends to be stiff when you first get it, although it softens quickly
- Circle T Oak Tanned Leather Round Dog Collar, 3/4", adjustable sizing to fit necks 14" to 16".
- Color: tan.
- Made of full grain, top quality leather that has been vegetable tanned.
Here is a high-quality rolled leather collar at a great price. The full-grain top quality leather has been vegetable-tanned for a soft and subtle appearance. The round collar is fitted around a leather core to provide stability over time.
It is expertly sewn together to hold up to the elements. This tan version is very attractive, but you can also choose a deeper brown or black rolled leather dog collar.
- Sizes to fit necks from 10in to 20in
- Full-grain, top-quality leather
- Vegetable-tanned for softness and flexibility
- The round collar fits around the leather core to hold its shape over the years
- Beautiful tan color with silver metal fittings
- Some people find these collars difficult to size
- Tends to be stiff at first
- Leather can be dry and may need to have oil applied to remain soft and pliable
Conclusion: Best Rolled Leather Dog Collar
Sometimes you need to find something at a bargain price for your dog, but when it comes to a rolled leather dog collar, you are probably looking for quality. The Mendota Rolled Leather Dog Collar is a beautifully crafted collar with solid brass hardware, carefully stitched for durability. It would likely be worth it to spend extra on this beautiful collar that should last through your dog’s lifetime.