5 Best Wide Dog Collars
Wide dog collars are great for powerful dogs who tend to pull hard on the leash. They look great on dogs with muscular necks such as Mastiffs, Rottweilers, and Pit Bulls. Regardless of what kind of material you want and whether you are looking for a Martingale or a buckle collar, you can find the perfect wide dog collar for your dog.
I have examined the five best wide dog collars on the market to see which is the best for your dog’s needs. But first, let’s cover the basics.
What is a wide dog collar?
Most dog collars are 3/4 inch wide, with the largest coming in at one inch. A one-inch wide collar (and anything wider than that) is considered a wide dog collar. Wide dog collars may close with a buckle or be a martingale that slips over your dog’s head.
In general, click closures are not used because people shopping for wide dog collars are usually shopping for powerful dogs and don’t want to take a risk with a click closure.
Which dogs benefit from wide dog collars?
In general, wide dog collars are ideal for large or powerful dogs who may break a thinner and less durable collar. Typically, wide dog collars buckle or slip over the head instead of relying on a clicking closure, since powerful dogs may break the clicking closure easily.
Any dog who pulls against the collar, especially in a lunging way, would benefit from a wide dog collar. Wide collars also look good on large dogs, especially those with muscular necks, such as Pit Bulls and mastiffs. They are well suited to display nameplates on the collar in the form of brass hardware or hook-and-loop attachments.
Features to look for when choosing a wide dog collar
All wide dog collars are at least an inch wide; typically, they buckle or slip over your dog’s head. Here are some features that may vary and are worth keeping in mind as you shop.
Wide dog collars vary from an inch to two inches wide, with most collars falling somewhere in between. You want to choose a collar that is wide enough to distribute pressure on your dog’s throat and hold up against your dog pulling but not so wide that it looks awkward on your dog’s neck or obstructs the natural movement of their head.
Place for tags
You don’t want your dog’s tags to be broken and fall off when your dog is pulling on the leash. Look for collars that provide a place for tags or identification directly on the collar with a hook-and-loop patch or brass hardware attachments or collars that offer a separate attachment point for tags. This will prevent your dog from accidentally damaging or losing tags when they pull on their leash.
You can choose a wide dog collar in a wide variety of materials, from the classic nylon most often used for dog collars, to traditional and good-looking leather, to military-grade material that will hold up to some damage.
Pick a material that looks stylish for your particular tastes and that will be comfortable for your dog. Depending on your dog, you don’t always have to choose between function and appearance. For instance, leather is one of the most stylish collars you’re going to find and is also one of the strongest materials you’ll find for a dog collar.
Buckle or Martingale?
Both buckle and Martingale collars are secure choices for your dog. Clickable closure dog collars are usually not offered in wide sizes because people shopping for a wide dog collar need a very secure collar and can’t take the risk that their dog will break plastic closures.
Buckles are unlikely to come loose, regardless of how your dog pulls. On the other hand, your dog may be able to slip out of a buckle collar if the material has loosened over time or if your dog is very determined.
Martingales tighten when your dog pulls, making it nearly impossible for your dog to back out regardless of how they pull. If your dog is an escape artist, a Martingale may be the best choice for them.
If your dog is outside a lot at night, it is smart to choose a reflective collar. These collars may not look as attractive as leather options but reflectivity could save your dog’s life if they run into a road at night. Be careful to look for reflective stitching or a reflective band of material, depending on how important reflectivity is to you.
How to fit a wide dog collar
Fitting a wide dog collar isn’t much different than fitting a regular dog collar, but it is especially important that you fit the collar effectively if your dog is powerful or pulls a lot.
Buckle wide dog collar
If you are fitting a buckle collar, you want to leave enough room for about two fingers to fit between the dog’s neck and the collar so your dog can breathe easily but the collar will not slip off. If you are fitting a buckle collar on a dog that has a wide neck, such as a Pit Bull, it is especially important to make sure there is a snug fit, since it is easier for these kinds of dogs to pull out of the collar.
Martingale wide dog collar
You have a little bit more flexibility when fitting a Martingale dog collar since it tightens by itself. The degree of flexibility that you get depends on how large the outer loop is. This is the loop you attach the leash to.
You want the collar tight enough that, when you hold it as tight as it will go on your dog’s neck, the two ends of the second loop do not touch. On the other hand, you do not want the collar so tight that the two ends barely come together when pulled.
5 Best Wide Dog Collar Review
- XL COLLAR - DO NOT GO OFF YOUR CURRENT DOG COLLAR LENGTH: (ALWAYS) measure your dogs neck size before ordering with a soft tape measure.. FITS DOG NECK SIZE 22 to 25 INCHES - Width is 1.75 inches -...
- NEED A PLACE FOR DOG TAGS? No problem, we have you covered with a built in small ring next to the buckle.
- BEAUTIFUL TWO TONE COLOR WITH SEALED EDGE - Brown and cream with soft inside sheepskin leather padding. As dog lovers ourselves, we designed this dog collar with your dog's comfort in mind. The buckle...
These beautiful leather collars are one 1.75″ wide and a great sturdy fit for dogs like Great Danes, Mastiffs, Wolfhounds, and Rottweilers. Soft sheepskin leather lining on the inside is soft on your dog’s neck while the sturdy outer leather and solid brass hardware won’t rust regardless of the weather conditions. A separate ring is provided so that you can hang tags without interfering with the leash attachment buckle. Customers enjoy excellent service from this reputable company.
- Very attractive leather collar
- Sheepskin leather inside for beautiful and comfortable padding
- Buckle and D ring made with solid brass hardware lacquered for the prevention of corrosion and rust
- Naturally tanned full grain genuine leather without harsh chemicals or dyes
- Lifetime guarantee covering failure due to materials or workmanship
- Range of charming colors to choose from
- Separate tag ring next to the buckle
- Matching leather leash with padded handle sold separately
- Works well with brass nameplates
- Sizes available for neck sizes From 11″ to 28″
- Sealed edge to keep out weather and moisture
- Too thick and heavy for smaller dogs
- Dogs who like to chew may be tempted by the leather, especially the sheepskin padding
- Leather stretches a bit over time so be careful to readjust
- GET FULL CONTROL OF YOUR DOG - Humane no-choke anti-pull system used by martingales, also called limited slip collars, is perfect for controlling your puppy or dog for obedience
- PREVENT BACKING OUT - Restrain your pet effectively, get control, and stay safe on walks by preventing escape; ideal for training small or large dogs with necks larger than their heads
- PREMIUM MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION SINCE 2002 - Thick heavy-duty collar made from durable x-tough fabric; range of classic colors and can be personalized; if any of the stitching or hardware fails...
If you are looking for a strong, attractive, escape-proof wide collar for your dog, this Martingale collar might be a good choice. Martingales, also known as limited slip collars, tighten when your dog pulls. This keeps your dog from slipping their head out but won’t tighten so far that your dog will choke.
These are great training collars since they provide more of a sensation when your dog pulls than buckle collars. This wide dog collar is also a great choice for any dog who fights the leash or tries to pull out of their collar. If you have a dog with a neck nearly as thick as the head, such as a Greyhound or a Pit Bull, this may be one of the only collars that will keep them from backing out.
- Range of charming colors to choose from, each with an attractive pattern
- Keep your dog from pulling out of the collar
- Much more humane than choke collars since it only tightens to a limited point
- High-quality construction with a replacement guarantee on any stitching or hardware that fails with regular wear
- Handmade in the USA
- Built from a thin webbing that is comfortable for your dog but built to the strong standards of military specs
- 1.5″ is thick enough to be comfortable for your dog
- Also available in reflective colors
- This model must be slid over your dog’s head rather than being buckled, which is frustrating for some people
- Some people find that the collar slips looser over time and needs to be adjusted
- Light, thin material may not seem strong enough to hold up to the most intense pullers
- SIZING - Small 11" - 15" | Medium 14" - 18" | Large 19" - 23" | XL/XLarge 22" - 26" |Measure your dog's neck with a tape measure at the preferred resting place for the collar. Alway allow for adequate...
- NEOPRENE PADDING - Give your dog the comfort he/she deserves. Each collar is lined with a soft neoprene padding that will protect your dog’s neck from irritation when being active. Don’t worry...
- HEAVY DUTY & LIGHTWEIGHT - Constructed for all breeds the Comfort Collar intentionally maintains a lightweight design but is built specifically with heavy duty hardware that is tough enough to resist...
You want a comfortable collar for your best friend. This collar is strong enough to keep your dog safe and secure but comfortable and light enough that your dog will love wearing it. If your dog tends to pull on the leash, it is even more important to have a comfortable and well-padded collar.
Reflective stitching throughout offers an added layer of safety at night time but is not distracting from the look of the collar during the day. There are sizes to fit necks from 11″ to 26″, which covers most dogs who need a strong collar. Small sizes come in three-quarters of an inch, while the larger sizes come in a full inch.
- Comfortable neoprene padding that protects your dog from rubbing
- Lightweight collar with heavy-duty hardware gives you strength where you need it without weighing down your dog
- Reflective stitching for nighttime safety
- Durable, high-quality materials from a trusted brand
- Weatherproof and great for water play
- Range of attractive colors to choose from
- Money-back guarantee
- An inch width is not one of the widest collars on the market if you are looking for a wide dog collar
- Stitching is relatively thin so it doesn’t offer much reflectivity
- Padding may stay wet for dogs who get wet frequently
- SOLID QUALITY & SOLID COMFORT: Designed with thick nylon strap with thick soft cushion padded inner lining to ensure your dog's wearing comfortable and not case any irritation
- GREAT DETAILS FOR USER FRIENDLY: Hook & loop panel for you to add a unique military patch/name patch or morale patch for your dog, an identification to keep your pet safe after attach name patch/ ID...
- 5 ADJUSTABLE POINTS: Durably made with comfort in mind, features a heavy duty metal D ring & metal buckle with 5 adjustable points; Easy to adjust the comfortable fit and attach dog leash
You don’t want to have to compromise between style, function, and comfort when choosing the perfect collar for your dog. These military-grade adjustable collars should meet your dog’s needs. A thick, cushioned padding lining will keep your dog comfortable through all-day wear but does not retain moisture.
You can customize your collar with a hook-and-loop panel for any kind of identification you need. This makes it an awesome collar for working dogs like police dogs, personal protection, or service dogs. This collar is 1.49″, which is wide enough for your dog’s comfort and for the patch to be clearly visible.
- High-quality, sturdy construction can hold up to powerful dogs
- Military-style collar with a hook-and-loop panel so that you can attach a patch
- Well-cushioned padding to keep your dog comfortable
- Unique vintage appearance
- Double buckle holes for extra security
- Not as adjustable as some collars, so not a good choice for growing puppies or if you are unsure about your dog’s size
- Some people find that the end comes out of the loop, requiring readjustment
- Color may rub off temporarily on white dogs after collar gets wet
- METERIAL: Made out of stylish 100% genuine leather, it is very soft and flexible. The inside of collar is softly padded and protects your dogs neck from rubbing and irritation.Our dogs will be very...
- HARDWARE: Heavy duty large brass D ring on top of the dog collar for an easy leash attachment or ID Tags. The brass hardware will not rust like other cheap dog collars. Superior hand stitching using...
- COLOR: Beautiful two tone color, your dog will stand out from the pack. This is a one of a kind designed leather dog collar at a great price.
You want a dog collar that is comfortable, secure, and stylish at a price you can afford. This leather collar will look great on your dog while holding up to even powerful pullers with the sturdy leather and brass hardware. The hand-stitching throughout uses extremely strong threads to resist fraying. The 100% genuine leather is soft and flexible and only gets more comfortable as your dog wears it. A padded interior protects your dog from any irritation from the leather.
- 100% genuine leather is soft, flexible, and very stylish
- Comes in a range of attractive colors, both natural and artificial
- Optionally print your dog’s name and your phone number on custom collars
- Less expensive than you might think for a high-quality dog collar
- Padded inside to make it comfortable for your dog
- Attractive heavy-duty brass D-ring for ID tags and leash attachment
- Choose between three sizes covering necks from 12.4″ to 22″
- From 1″ to 1.4″ in wide
- Satisfaction guaranteed with refund or replacement options
- Optional matching leash available
- Some people find that the collar is a bit stiff at first
- This collar is quite heavy, which bothers some dogs or looks awkward to the owner
- Stretches a bit over time, so be careful to keep adjusting it to fit your dog’s neck properly
Conclusion: Best wide dog collar
When you visualize a wide dog collar, the Soft Touch Collars Luxury Real Leather Padded Dog Collar may well be what you are seeing. This beautiful leather collar is wide enough to hold up to powerful dogs but soft enough that it will be comfortable for your dog. The sturdy brass hardware holds up and won’t come loose.
Customers seem very happy with this company, which offers a lifetime guarantee and great customer service. You can choose from a range of colors to find a color that looks perfect on your dog.
The naturally tanned leather has no harsh chemicals or dyes and, as such, is natural and safe for your dog. This is a beautiful wide dog collar that will work with a wide range of large and powerful dogs who need a wide collar.