There are two reasons why I enjoy doing my work. One because I am an animal lover myself, and two, I take joy in helping other animal lovers treat and take care of their beloved pets. Seeing their bright smiles after we had cured their pet companions brings massive satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment. Last year alone, I was able to help treat hundreds of dogs and meet with their owners. I do believe that dogs, just like humans, deserve to be loved, to have a beautiful home, and to have great friends.
Table of Contents
- 1 Pitbull Great Dane Mix
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Great Pitbull Great Dane
- 3 3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Great Dane Pitbull
- 4 Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Pitbull Great Dane
- 5 Pitbull Mixed With Great Dane Puppies for Sale
- 6 Grooming Your Great Dane Crossed with Pitbull
- 7 Pitbull Crossed with Great Dane Health Problems
- 8 Great Dane Pitbull Mix Food Requirements
- 9 Pitbull Great Dane Mix Exercise Requirements
- 10 Great Dane Pitbull Training
- 11 Pitbull Great Dane and Families
- 12 REFERENCES:
Pitbull Great Dane Mix
The Pitbull Great Dane Mix may also be called a Great Danebull. This hybrid is a combination of both a Great Dane and an American Pit Bull Terrier. These two breeds are incredibly distinct from each other, but if you combine all their good traits, you will end up with an affectionate, loving and playful companion that is great with other people, even children. They are friendly, alert, and faithful to their owners and would do anything to make you happy. The mistakes of Pitbulls that were not well-trained have made in the past years have tainted their reputation; however, along with Great Danes, they are genuinely delightful and gentle. Physically, they are intimidating to look at due to their large size, which they get from the Great Dane, and robust features.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Great Pitbull Great Dane
- They may experience separation anxiety. This hybrid usually follows its owner around everywhere, but when there is a need for you to go to work or other places and leave it all alone in the house, it can get destructive. If it is left alone too long, it will destroy anything and everything.
- 2. This crossbreed is large. A Pitbull Great Dane takes up a lot of space which may not be ideal for those who have limited home space. It may also be challenging to fit it into small cars, which in turn makes traveling to other places very difficult.
- They are not pushovers. This mix has a strong will and usually does whatever it wants to do, but it is imperative for you to show them that you are in charge. Owners of this crossbreed will have to be confident and have a sense of leadership. They will be slightly harder to train and raise, which is why they need patient owners.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Great Dane Pitbull
- 1. This mix is a real sweetheart. They are exceptionally loyal and loving to their owners. They can be very affectionate to people that they love and will try hard to bring happiness to their owners, and so getting this crossbreed will bring warmth and joy into your life.
- It is a great companion. You can consider a Great Danebull very clingy and will want to be by your side at all times. This trait is excellent for those who enjoy being intimate with their furry friends.
- 3. A Great Dane mixed with a Pitbull is very friendly. You will not have any problem when bringing your pet to crowded places because they generally feel comfortable interacting with strangers and even other dogs. All you have to do is to train and start socializing it with others starting from an early age.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Pitbull Great Dane
|Coat Type||Short, dense, smooth, glossy|
|Coat Color||Black, white, blue, fawn, red, brown, sable, and brindle, or a combination|
|Amount of Shedding||Moderate to high|
|Eyes||Brown and wide-set|
|Ears||square-shaped and hang loosely|
|Temperament||Gentle, affectionate, people-oriented, intelligent, friendly|
|Life Expectancy||8-12 years|
|Kid Friendly||Yes with good socialization|
|New Owner Friendly||Yes|
|Breed Recognition||IDCR, DRA|
This large crossbreed is known to have long legs, which allow them to run at high speeds. Also, they may look fierce and dangerous, but they are truly friendly and have the traits and qualities that make a great companion. They are very gentle and affectionate creatures that enjoy cuddling with their owners, like a lap dog.
Due to their clingy personality, they tend to demand a lot of your attention and affection. They experience separation anxiety when you leave them all alone. Also, in this situation, the Great Danebull become very destructive, so it might not be ideal.
This mix is smart, confident, and dependable. Great Dane Pitbulls are generally happy and alert thus making them playful and cheerful. They enjoy playing and running around outside to release some energy. Because they are friendly and outgoing, you won’t have much problem with bringing them to public places.
You have to keep in mind that since it is a hybrid, you will have to observe and understand their parents’ personality to know how the offspring will most likely behave.
Pitbull Mixed With Great Dane Puppies for Sale
Before deciding to buy a Great Danebull puppy, you have to be sure that you are ready to take the responsibility of raising and training it. There are many things you have to consider. One crucial factor is its size. You will need to have a large home with a lot of space to house such a large dog. It’s also best if you have a yard for it to play on.
When you are sure that this crossbreed is suitable for you, you then have to choose a breeder. It is tough to ensure that the Great Danebulls were adequately taken care of through the internet, so you can avoid those random ads or websites you get online. Also, try not to get one from puppy mills because they often mistreat their animals. The best way to find a reliable breeder would be to choose from one that specializes in large dog breeds and mixed breeds.
You can ask to visit their facility to ensure that these puppies were brought up in the appropriate environment. Most notable breeders have a proper screening process. You can ask them for some papers documenting the full physical and behavioral reports on both parents and the puppy.
You can opt to get a puppy from shelters or join rescues. There are no rescues specifically for the Great Dane Pitbull Mix, but there are many for the parent breeds.
To search for a puppy from qualified dog breeders, you may visit these websites:
Here are some rescues for Great Danes:
- GDCA Neet Rescue, CA
- Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue, Inc., CO
- Northwest Great Dane Rescue, WA
For a complete list, you can visit gdca.org.
If you are interested in rescue groups for Pitbulls, check out these organizations:
- Angel City Pit Bulls (ACPB), CA
- Pit Bull Happenings Rescue, FL
- Pit of Our Souls Rescue, Inc., NY
You can visit www.pbrc.net to check all the organizations or shelters near you.
Grooming Your Great Dane Crossed with Pitbull
The Great Dane Pitbull mix has smooth and short hair, thus only requiring moderate grooming. There is a need for you to give its coat a brush at least once a day. You have to know, that this crossbreed shed a lot so you would have to clean the house up regularly.
You will only need to bathe it when it gets dirty but not often because it will affect the natural oils it has in its skin. Frequent bathing would lead to drying of your dog’s skin, which is unhealthy. Try to take note of the hybrid’s nails and cut them if they grow too long. You also have to brush its teeth once a day or at least three times a week.
Pitbull Crossed with Great Dane Health Problems
Generally, puppies of this crossbreed are healthy, but there is a possibility that they will inherit their parents’ medical conditions. Again, try to ask a detailed medical record of both parents from the breeder to see what you may have to deal with for the puppy.
As Great Danebulls grow old, they get more and more prone to acquiring specific health problems which are commonly due to its enormous size. Below is a list of some of the common health conditions that Great Danebulls may have to suffer in the long run:
- Hip dysplasia. This condition occurs when the ball and socket in their joints do not glide well together, instead grind together. Having this issue could bring so much pain to your pet. You can opt for your pet to get surgery to correct it.
- Heart problems. Great Danes are known to be prone to suffering cardiomyopathy, which is deadly heart disease, consequently increasing the Great Dane Pitbull mix’s possibility of going through the same. When your pet suffers from this condition, its heart will not be able to generate enough pressure to pump blood through its system.
- Allergies. Similar to most dogs, Great Danebulls could suffer from allergies due to different kinds of allergens. It may be food or products that are for the skin. If its allergies get worst, you will have to bring your pet to the vet as soon as possible.
- Bloat. The Great Dane is the dog, among all other breeds, that is most likely to develop this condition. It is also known as gastric dilatation or volvulus and occurs when the dog’s stomach twists on itself and then becomes distended with gas. When this happens, the stomach may end up putting pressure on the diaphragm, making it difficult for your dog to breathe. You need to bring your dog to the vet to get it immediately fixed through surgery or else it could lose its life.
- Cancer. This breed has an increased risk of getting cancer, specifically bone cancer. It inherits this problem from the Great Dane side. If your dog develops cancer or a tumor, they may end up getting an amputation, which even then does not cure the disease itself.
Great Dane Pitbull Mix Food Requirements
The Great Danebull is a large dog, and they can eat about 3 to 6 cups of dry dog food every day which you give in 2 separate meals. It is better for you to feed it two times a day instead of feeding it one big meal to reduce the risk of bloating. Never give it any human food and stick with high-quality organic dog food, such as any of these best large breed dry dog food options. Likewise, steer clear from the worst dry dog food. You will also need to provide them fresh water regularly. Because this crossbreed is prone to many health issues, such as hip and elbow dysplasia, it is best to give them glucosamine and fish oil supplements like Nutra Thrive dog food supplement or K9 Nature Hip and Joint Revita Chew.
Here are some of the best dry dog food options you can give to your Great Danebull:
- Wellness Core Dog Food
- Dog For Dog Food
- EUKANUBA Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food – This dog food is specifically for larger breeds and contains chicken as its protein source. Chicken can help your Great Dane Pitbull mix develop lean muscles. It utilizes whole grains sorghum and barley as its source of carbohydrates. The dog food also includes glucosamine and chondroitin, which can prevent your dog from developing hip and elbow joint problems. To help digestion and absorption of nutrients, Eukanuba added dry beet pulp which acts as a probiotic.
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – This dog food is meant to be simple and easy for the dog’s digestive system. It only contains all the necessary ingredients but is of high-quality. Lamb is its source of protein and peas as its carbohydrates. The dog food was added with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to give your pet a shinier and healthy coat. To increase the dog food’s palatability, Nature’s Variety coated it with a green tea extract.
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Giant – This product includes high-quality proteins and many dietary fibers which aid digestion. Its source of protein is chicken but also contains supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin, to help keep the dog’s joints healthy. It also has various antioxidants and vitamins that help the pet age smoothly. This product would be an excellent choice for your Great Danebull because it contains taurine and L-carnitine, which could improve its heart health.
Your googie’s age matters a great deal and influences the choice of food you get them. Puppies thrive on formulas specially designed for them, such as the ones offered by the best puppy food brands. Large breed puppies are also quite fond of some of the best dry dog food for small dogs. Elderly pooches have distinct needs that you can meet by serving them the best senior dry dog food on the market.
Pitbull Great Dane Mix Exercise Requirements
If you are thinking of getting a Great Dane Pitbull mix, you have to be aware of its exercise needs. Since it is a big dog and has a lot of energy, it will need a home with enough space and a backyard where it can play in. This hybrid especially likes spending its time running around and playing with its owner, so make sure that you make time to interact and bond with your pet.
Specifically, these dogs will need about an hour to an hour and a half a day to exercise. You can do many different kinds of activities together, such as jogging, hiking, and playing catch. You may choose any exercise as long as your dog gets to release its energy daily.
There are different toys or objects that you can purchase or make yourself and play with your dog, like:
- tug-of-war toys with woven ropes
- tennis balls and frisbees for fetching
- obstacles to stimulating the dog’s brain while exercising
Great Dane Pitbull Training
Though this dog is huge, it is brilliant and eager to please so it will not be that difficult to train. Training will go well if you are confident and project a leader vibe so that it will listen to you. You always need to be positive but still be firm during the whole process of training. You have to do this to gain its respect and its trust. Being consistent in training your dog is vital so that it won’t get confused with the actions you are instructing him to do.
If you decide on getting a puppy, make sure that you start socializing and training it at a young age. If not, it could grow up to be disobedient and destructive. At this age, the Great Danebull are most receptive to learning new things and developing good habits. They are excited dogs; thus, you have to train them well to learn how to be calm inside the house and save their energy for when they go out to play.
Training an adult Great Dane Pitbull will be a much more challenging task. Being an adult dog means that they already act and behave a certain way. It isn’t easy to change the behavior and personality of a dog at that age, but if you exert a lot of effort, you will be able to improve your pet little by little.
Observe the following tips to maximize your training session:
- Deal with the dog in a positive manner
- Use positive reinforcement
- Be firm and confident as a trainer
- Start with simple commands and lead up to more difficult ones
- Make sure you have enough space
Pitbull Great Dane and Families
The Great Dane Pitbull Mix is an incredibly adorable pet and would be a great addition to your family. They are friendly with adults and get along well with children. They are loving and affectionate and would make an excellent companion.
Though it would be an incredible family pet, there may be some things that you have to think over. You have to ask yourself if your house is suitable for such a massive dog. It will need a lot of space both inside and outside of the house to move around. It would also be better you are an active person who enjoys doing different kinds of activities so that you can bring your furry friend to different places to exercise.
If you and you’re family members are usually busy and are out of the house a lot, this mixed breed might not be for you. It is very clingy and enjoys a lot of attention and adoration from its owners. These dogs are also known to experience separation anxiety when they are left alone for an extended period. During this period, they become more destructive, which means when you get home, you might find yourself with chairs or tables being chewed on or generally a mess in the house. You have to be ready to give it all the attention and love it needs.
These dogs are great with children, but you have to warn your kids to play nicely with your pet. They should be taught not to pull on their tails, try to climb on their backs, and no teasing them with anything, especially food. Once your child does this to your Great Danebull, it could react negatively. Also, this hybrid is playful and big, so when your kids are playing with it, you have to keep an eye on them. Accidents may occur if you don’t supervise their play time together.
Being an animal lover, you might have other pets or dogs in the house. If you’re worried about whether the Great Danebull will get along with your other pets or not, don’t be. They are generally very friendly with other pets, but in the beginning, you will have to socialize it and supervise their interactions until they can fully accept each other.
Great Dane Pitbull mix dogs have a charming personality. They are loving and loyal to their family and could get very protective of the young ones in the house. It is soul-stirring to see such a large and energetic dog bring so much warmth, comfort, and happiness to a household.
- Olson, K.r., et al. “Inconsistent Identification of Pit Bull-Type Dogs by Shelter Staff.” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 206, no. 2, 29 July 2015, pp. 197–202., doi:10.1016/j.tvjl.2015.07.019.
- Hoffmann, A., et al. “Congenital Ichthyosis in 14 Great Dane Puppies With a New Presentation.” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 53, no. 3, 4 Aug. 2015, pp. 614–620., doi:10.1177/0300985815595516.
- Coile, D. Caroline. Pit Bulls for Dummies. Wiley, 2002.
- Person, Stephen. Great Dane: Gentle Giant. Bearport Pub. Co. Inc., 2012.