Table of Contents
- 1 Poodle Crossed With Pitbull
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get A Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
- 3 3 Reasons Why You Should Get Poodle Pitbulls
- 4 Appearance, Personality, And Traits Of A Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
- 5 Poodle Crossed With Pitbull Puppies For Sale
- 6 Grooming Your Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
- 7 Poodle Crossed With Pitbull Health Problems
- 8 Pitbull Crossed With Poodle Food Requirements
- 9 Pitbull Poodles Exercise Requirements
- 10 Pitbull Mixed With Poodle Training
- 11 Poodle Pitbulls And Families
- 12 References:
Poodle Crossed With Pitbull
The Pitbull Poodles Mix is also known as the “Boodle,” a breed that is a medium-sized, loyal, easily trained, and a family-oriented dog. Coming from both a Poodle and a Pitbull, it’s unlikely that each of the parents’ traits will show physically.
A Poodle is known for being the smart, humorous breed. These dogs adapt quickly and are considered the ultimate companion dogs for both adults and children. On the other hand, a Pitbull is not a specific breed. When you mention a pitbull, there is a variety and could either be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bully, America Staffordshire Terrier, and an America Pitbull Terrier. Pitties are known for their intelligence and willingness to learn, which makes them an incredibly obedient type.
Having a Pitbull crossed with Poodles genetically enhances the dog’s adaptability and companionship, and their instinct for obedience makes it easier to train and practice. Having both breeds combined might not show each physical trait, but the hybrid pups carry the best genes each kind can offer.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get A Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
- It is aggressive. There are two types of aggressiveness when it comes to this hybrid offspring: a dog type and a human type. The dog type of aggressiveness is a natural thing, but human nature stems from how you treat or train them, which eventually shows when they interact with other people.
- It is overly sensitive. This trait applies to stress, loud sounds and voices, and tension. It can be a problem whenever there are loud parties at home or when there are celebrations that involve fireworks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year).
- Tends to destroy things when bored. Coming from the pitties traits, your hybrid dog could gnaw on a shoe or two, or they might bite on couches out of boredom. You have to train and teach them over and over regarding this.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get Poodle Pitbulls
- They’re non-aggressive. Being aggressive to humans always comes from the way you treat them at home. For example, you treat your dog in a loving and nurturing way at home. In addition to the great environment they thrive in, they are naturally compassionate and human-friendly pets.
- They’re smart and attentive and are excellent in picking up body language, which leads to a better understanding between the two parties. They’re also sensitive to any communication or expression that it makes it very easy to train.
- They’re easy to groom. With both parent dogs having soft fur, the hybrid offspring is also sure to give you an easier time when grooming.
Appearance, Personality, And Traits Of A Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
|Weight||40 to 70 lbs.|
|Height||18 to 24 inches tall|
|Coat Type||Dense, single coat|
|Coat Color||Possibly black, fawn, white, tan, brindle, blue, grey, silver, cafe-au-lait, cream, brown|
|Amount Of Shedding||Minimal|
|Nose||Brown to dark|
|Temperament||Intelligent, fearless, active, lively|
|Life Expectancy||9 to 15 years|
|New Owner Friendly||Yes, but can be shy sometimes|
The poodle pitbull mix is an excellent family companion because of the superb combination of temperament from both breeds. They are lively, friendly, athletic, and possess a great desire to please their owners.
Although they are generally good with companions (old or new), the Pitbull’s feistiness shows once they feel shy around new people, which could result in aggressiveness. This trait can be a shock because owners are used to the family-friendly characteristics. Don’t worry, the right amount of training will do wonders once your pup is fully aware of how it should act around strangers.
Your hybrid dog should not be left alone because it can make them feel scared and agitated, which often results in them gnawing at anything they get their paws on. If this goes on for a long time, more stuff and more significant damage is a possibility.
Poodle Crossed With Pitbull Puppies For Sale
Known for their built and temperament, the Pitbull crossed with Poodle is a favorite among new dog owners worldwide. A thing to remember is that even though a hybrid inherits the significant parts of the parent, weaknesses are inevitable as well.
In general, hybrid offspring are considered healthier compared to the purebred parents, but it doesn’t mean they’re not prone to catching any diseases or sicknesses that are common to all dogs. Be careful when choosing your poodle pitbull mix to avoid any major health concerns for your dogs.
Do not consider buying a puppy because of online ads or if it is in a pet store, because they’re likely to come from puppy mills which focus on breeding dogs at a large scale. Some have started to produce mixed breeds as well. Take note that the parents of the hybrid offspring in puppy mills are not well taken care of and health is not a priority.
Looking for a local, independent, small scale breeder is better than online ads or pet shops. Breeders will allow you to check everything you want to check before buying a pup. From the living conditions up to the food and exercise each hybrid is getting, responsible owners won’t hesitate with showing vital information for potential buyers. Make sure you check for the living space, as well as the cleanliness of the dog’s area.
You can be sure that these breeders are devoted, loving, fur parents because once you ask for any health concerns or tests, they would gladly present them to you and answer your questions directly. Because like you, these breeders focus more on the dogs’ lives rather than the amount of money they’re going to make from selling puppies.
Here’s a list of breeders you can check before buying:
You may also check local adoption centers near you or visit the following rescue/adoption websites:
Grooming Your Poodle Mixed With Pitbull
Grooming a Poodle Pitbull mix is generally an easy task, but it also depends on which parent breed they take after. If they take after the Pitbull then brushing isn’t a necessity, but it’s better to do it at least 2 to 3 times a week, to avoid dirt accumulation or knots. If the hybrid takes after the Poodle breed, then shedding is inevitable, and you have to schedule “brushing sessions.”
Baths are needed but don’t overdo it. Frequent bathing doesn’t mean they’re 100% clean, but rather, it makes your pup prone to illnesses because you wash away the natural oils and protection from the hairs.
Don’t forget to clip their nails and clean their ears. If your pup takes after the pit bull parent breed, make sure you regularly check their ears because a common problem is ear infections which happen because of the “no shed” gene, which traps and accumulates dirt.
Brush their teeth regularly even if chewable treats are given and take them to the vet from time to time to ensure that your health habits are checked and okay for your pitbull poodle mix.
Poodle Crossed With Pitbull Health Problems
A Poodle mixed with Pitbull will generally inherit the healthy genes, but there’s always a possibility of inheriting the vulnerability to diseases as well. Some of the conditions to look out for are:
- Ear infections: Pitbulls don’t shed that much, which leads to dirt accumulation in the ears, which is why you should regularly check and clean your puppy’s ears from time to time.
- Heart disease: dogs are prone to heart diseases if the food intake isn’t well thought of and planned. If you give your dog table food, chances are, it will develop illnesses brought about by human food. Opt to stick to dog food (pellets, soft meat, etc.) which are high in nutrients.
- Bloating: this is a common thing among different breeds. Bloating leads to gastric dilatation-volvulus if not addressed immediately and may lead to death.
- Hip dysplasia: Poodles are prone to have joint dysplasia most commonly in the hip and pelvic area. This occurrence happens when joints pop out of the socket, causing immense pain for the hybrid.
Pitbull Crossed With Poodle Food Requirements
Make it a point to ensure and prioritize the type of food you allow your dog to eat because this will significantly affect its longevity of life and health status. Take note of the size and needs of each breed it came from so you may plan a specific diet for your hybrid.
Your pitbull poodle is a medium sized dog, so portions of dog food should be measured so your dog won’t be obese. Treats are good (for training as well) but refrain from making it a daily habit to lessen weight gain. Make sure you choose snacks that have low caloric content.
As a responsible owner, you should carefully choose what you put in your dog’s plate. Take note of the nutrients needed to ensure a proper diet. Always choose foods that are rich in protein, as they are high energy dogs.
Make sure to avoid typical dog allergens such as wheat, corn, and potatoes. Your dog might be prone to skin diseases as well, and its best to strictly follow feeding instructions.
If you look hard enough, the market offers a lot of high-quality foods you can give your pitbull poodle mix. Here are some brands you can try:
- Wellness Core Dog Food
- Dog For Dog Food
- Nutra Thrive dog food supplement
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food: This is a protein-packed dog food that consists of raw food, kibble, and freeze-dried raw bits. Instinct takes pride in improving the coat of any dog that stays on their dog food for a while. High-energy dogs will surely benefit from all the protein this brand gives.
- Natural Balance Original Ultra Whole Body Health Chicken, Chicken Meal & Duck Meal Formula Dry Dog Food: A gluten-free food that is rich in chicken, zinc, and manganese, which help prevent joint diseases. It also contains oat fiber for proper digestion, and dried cranberries, blueberries, and spinach as antioxidants.
- Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage Natural Dry Dog Food: This product contains all the needed food and nutrients for better digestion and proper growth. It includes chicken, fish, and whitefish meal. Antioxidants such as Vitamin E, beta carotene, fruits, and vegetables are incorporated to boost the immune system. Oatmeal, barley, brown rice, and rye are included to promote digestion and L-carnitine for fat burning.
- Horizon Complete All Life Stages Dry Dog Food: This product made sure not to include corn, potatoes, or tapioca to avoid allergic reactions. From the name itself, it is suitable for all life stages of your dog, and it lowers the Glycemic Index, which helps maintain sugar and balances your dog’s weight.
- Holistic Select Adult Health Deboned Turkey & Lentils Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food: with zero recalls and an award-winning product, Holistic takes pride in focusing on a dog’s cellular health when producing dog food. Their product has natural microorganisms to help aid digestion in line with the incorporation of lentils as a fiber source.
Considering that your gorgeous mixed breed is a medium-size dog, you can offer them either the best dry dog food for small dogs or the best large breed dry dog food — it may surprise you to find out which parent they take their taste for food after! Whichever brand you settle on, make sure that it is only the best dry dog food kind as going for the worst dry dog food may have dire consequences on the overall health of your pooch.
Also, keep in mind that your pup’s age plays a role in their nutrition — cubs should be fed on the best puppy food brands, and grandpa-doggos find it most comfortable to nibble on the best senior dry dog food.
Pitbull Poodles Exercise Requirements
Your boodle is a product of two very different breeds: one is highly active, and the other focuses more on the intellectual aspect so it would be best to choose equipment or toys that can exercise them physically, as well as train their minds and awaken their sensitivity.
Make sure you schedule play time with your dogs, whether its walking or running or playing in the park to ensure that they have a healthy lifestyle. If you’re not the mover type of owner, you can also choose to play fetch with a ball, frisbee, sticks, or any chew toy.
Exercise doesn’t have to be trips to the park or long walks. You can also incorporate exercise in your home. Try playing hide and seek or fetch in your backyard, anything to keep your dog going and panting.
Physical and mental exercises are essential to avoid putting your boodle in an idle state, which can lead to depression, boredom, and destruction. Try your best to plan any form of activity that will keep your pups active physically and mentally.
To improve your exercise regimen, here are some toys you can purchase:
- Canine Hardware Chuckit! Classic Launchers: This is perfect for the non-athletic, stay at home type of owners. This product is also ideal for the energetic side of your hybrid, without giving you the sore arm from repeatedly throwing the ball.
- FluffyPal Chew Toys For Puppies Small Dogs And Medium Dogs: This product is an all-in-one type because it can be a teething toy which can remove tartar, a potential favorite toy, and it also has a vanilla scent to counter any dog drool smell.
- Furry Fido- Interactive Toy Ball For Dogs by FurryFido: for the inner poodle in your dog, this toy is perfect when teaching them about being a “good boy/girl.” Once you throw the ball and your pup chews it, treats come out! Not only does it exercise your hybrid, but it also teaches it about rewards and positive outcomes when they follow a command.
- Hear Doggy! Flattie With Chew Guard Technology Ultrasonic Squeaker Dog Toys: This innovative product works in two ways: you won’t hear any squeaking, but your dog will which lessens the stress for you and increases the excitement for your hybrid.
With the balanced need for exercise, you can choose to specify activities that will enhance their physical and mental abilities. Make sure you have enough space for them to run around and play.
Pitbull Mixed With Poodle Training
Your hybrid’s intelligence will likely come from the Poodle parent, and the highly active trait comes from the Pitbull parent. So this can be a bit of a challenge because you need to exercise both aspects.
Pit bulls tend to exercise wanting the alpha position, which needs training that involves firmness, confidence, and a strong will. A poodle is an intelligent type and will be a bit challenging to train, so they need more patience and understanding.
Always start training once you establish what you want and need for your pup. Train your puppies before reaching a year old, starting from simple commands until more difficult ones.
Here are tips to make training easier for your boodle:
- Plan What You Want To Teach: To avoid confusion for your dog, make sure you have a plan as to what commands you want your dog to learn. If not, you might switch from one lesson to another, without fully incorporating it into your dog’s mind.
- Schedule Shorter Sessions: The reason for this is to have a higher attention span. If you think long sessions bore your hybrid, cut them down to at least 30 minutes to an hour to ensure, you have their full attention.
- Practice Positive Reinforcement: a poodle is an intelligent breed, and they remember when you praise them for doing something right. So don’t forget to say how proud you are and give out occasional treats while training.
- Try Socialization Training: Socialization is a Pitbull’s weakness. They tend to be shy and aggressive towards new people, which might be the case for your boodle. You can visit the vet and ask for tips, or you can bring them to the park until they familiarize themselves with different people and dogs as well.
- Potty Training: This is an essential type of training for almost all dogs. It saves you effort and money, and it also lessens the stress of accidentally stepping on unwanted stuff.
Poodle Pitbulls And Families
You don’t have to worry about how your hybrid reacts to family and close friends as long as you ensure the proper environment and give them the love and care they need to thrive.
Throughout history, pit bulls are known and recognized as dangerous and aggressive. But the truth is, it always depends on how they’re raised and trained and was once known as the nanny dog. On the other hand, poodles require mental stimulation and constant socialization. A mix of the two breeds will still require socialization training.
Your pitbull poodle mix can be stubborn at times, but they are also easy to train. They’re great companions, especially for kids, so there’s no need to worry about any potential aggressiveness or feistiness. Make it a habit to remind family members that your dog needs to exercise, so that you can take turns as to who will take the dog out for a walk.
Having a big space is ideal for the energetic side of your dog. Although the older members of the family can do training, it’s also healthy to incorporate children into the plan, because dogs naturally want to have fun and try exciting things.
The Pitbull mixed with Poodle is a popular breed among dog owners in the market, but they’re also one of the kinds that tend to get listed for adoption. As a potential owner of this mix, it’s your responsibility to find out about how your pup will act in different situations, their health concerns, possible risks, as well as how to raise them according to their needs.
- Olson, K.r., et al. “Inconsistent Identification of Pit Bull-Type Dogs by Shelter Staff.” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 206, no. 2, 29 July 2015, pp. 197–202., doi:10.1016/j.tvjl.2015.07.019.
- Boyd, Susan P., and Matthew P. Best. “Persistent Reticulocytosis in a Case of Poodle Macrocytosis.” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, vol. 47, no. 3, 27 June 2018, pp. 400–406., doi:10.1111/vcp.12626.
- Coile, D. Caroline. Pit Bulls for Dummies. Wiley, 2002.
- Ewing, Susan M. Poodles For Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
Last Updated on