There are a variety of mixed pug breeds, each with their different personalities, special needs, and health issues. I hope that this information will help you adopt and raise a healthy and happy dog. If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask. You may also upload a photo of your pug mixed breed in the comment section below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Boxer Pug Mix = Poxer
- 2 Husky Pug Mix = Pugsky
- 3 Corgi Pug Mix = Porgi
- 4 Poodle Pug Mix = Poogle
- 5 German Shepherd Pug Mix = German Pug
- 6 Beagle Pug Mix = Peagle
- 7 Bull Mastiff Pug Mix = Bull Pug
- 8 Labrador Pug Mix = Pugrador
- 9 Chihuahua Pug Mix = Chug
- 10 Chow Chow Pug Mix = Chowg
- 11 Border Collie Pug Mix = Border Pollie
- 12 Australian Shepherd Pug Mix = Australian Pug
- 13 Dachshund Pug Mix = Pughund
- 14 Cocker Spaniel Pug Mix = Cocker Spanug
- 15 St. Bernard Pug Mix = St. Pug
- 16 American Bulldog Pug Mix = American Pug
- 17 Cane Corso Pug Mix = Cane Porso
- 18 Shar Pei Pug Mix = Shar Peipug
- 19 Akita Pug Mix = Pugkita
- 20 Blue Heeler Pug Mix = Blue Pug
- 21 English Bulldog Pug Mix = English Pug
- 22 Golden Retriever Pug Mix = Golden Pugtriever
- 23 Rhodesian Ridgeback Pug Mix = Rhodesian Pug
- 24 Pitbull Pug Mix = Pugit
- 25 French Bulldog Pug Mix = French Pug
- 26 Catahoula Pug Mix = Pughoula
- 27 Shih Tzu Pug Mix = Shih Tzug
- 28 Newfoundland Pug Mix = New Foundpugland
- 29 Pug Mix Food Requirements
- 30 References:
Boxer Pug Mix = Poxer
- A Boxer Pug mix has the face of a Pug, but the muzzle is not as short as a Pug but is shorter than a Boxer’s. It will have the eyes of a Pug while the ears are that of a Boxer’s
- This breed will still retain the little wrinkles on the face that the Pug is well-loved for.
- Expect moderate amounts of shedding because of its Boxer lineage, but this won’t shed as much as a Pug does.
- The Pug Boxer mix is a wonderful companion, is a perfect family dog but it is best as a watchdog due to its Boxer traits.
- This pug breed mix is generally healthy and does not have any known allergies.
Husky Pug Mix = Pugsky
- A Pug Husky mix is a breed that is commonly referred to as Hugs. This breed is very energetic, cheerful and alert.
- This breed is perfect as a watchdog because of its alertness but be careful because this may also display a stubborn behavior.
- This dog needs a lot of exercises and may develop problems like chewing on slippers and furniture, barking and urinating anywhere if it does not get enough physical activity.
- If your Husky Pug mix has a pug’s coat, brush it twice a week; a longer coat requires thrice a week brushing. Prevent bad breath and tooth decay by brushing its teeth at least once a week.
Corgi Pug Mix = Porgi
- The Pug Corgi mix breed is about 10 to 13 inches tall, but the Pug variety is about 18 pounds in weight while the Corgis can be as heavy as 30 pounds.
- The risk of hip dysplasia in Corgis and the breathing problems in Pugs are significantly reduced because of mixing these breeds.
- The Corgi Pug Mix is not a popular hybrid, therefore, looking for a breeder who breeds this kind of dog or shelter that has one could be difficult. But don’t lose hope; ask around.
- Both the Corgi and the Pug are intelligent breeds; therefore, this breed will make a fun, smart and lovable family companion.
Poodle Pug Mix = Poogle
- Poodle Pug mix breed may have different types of fur. You could have a dog with straight Pug hair or the curly hair of a Poodle. It won’t shed a lot depending on its stronger lineage.
- This breed has become very popular over the past decade as dog owners look for breeds that are different from the ordinary Poodle or Pug.
- Protect your Pug Poodle mix breed dog from the most common health problem among Pugs: obesity. Maintain an ideal weight and exercise your dog daily.
- A Poodle Pug mix puppy can grow up being bossy so be sure to socialize your dog early or have other pets in the house to avoid this behavior.
German Shepherd Pug Mix = German Pug
- A German Shepherd Pug Mix is a breed that looks stocky and well-built with a broad chest and a short snout that takes from its Pug heritage.
- Give your dog a lot of toys to keep it busy or else it could develop the habit of digging and chewing on furniture.
- This designer dog breed will shed minimally and needs only a fair amount of brushing in a week.
- The Pug German Shepherd mix is vulnerable to overeating and obesity so be very strict in feeding and in giving treats.
- If your dog has inherited the Pug’s snout, then do not over-exercise because this can lead to breathing issues.
Beagle Pug Mix = Peagle
- This is a designer dog breed that was made to get the best of both worlds: a Pug’s laid back attitude and a Beagle’s larger and longer nose for better breathing.
- The Beagle Pug mix is a brilliant breed but is not too eager to please their masters. This dog could be a bit stubborn so try to be patient when training.
- There are several health issues to watch out for like hip dysplasia and eye problems that are seen in both breeds and breathing problems common in pugs.
- The Pug-Beagle mix is a gentle and lovable breed, and these qualities make it a good companion dog. However, these develop separation anxiety when left for a more extended period.
Bull Mastiff Pug Mix = Bull Pug
- The Bullmastiff Pug mix is a mixture of the large and stately Bullmastiff and the cute and chubby Pug.
- This is a very rare designer dog breed, and there is not much-published data about it. But looking into the characteristics of their parent breeds will tell you a lot about this breed.
- Both the Pug and the Bullmastiff have short muzzles and are thus prone to breathing problems.
- If the Pug Bullmastiff mix has a dominant Pug trait, then it is smaller with a lighter color coat. But if it has inherited its Bullmastiff lineage, then it is taller and larger with a darker color coat
Labrador Pug Mix = Pugrador
- The Labrador Pug mix can weigh between 35 to 40 pounds and can be 16 to 18 inches in height.
- Gone is the cute stocky tail of the Pug with this breed. This replaced with a longer version of a Labrador’s tail.
- There are some health issues with the Pug Labrador mix. There are joint issues coming from the Pug lineage and hip dysplasia from the Labrador’s heritage.
- Both parent breeds are gentle, loving and friendly and make excellent companions. However, there is a tendency to develop separation anxiety, especially in Labrador Pug mix puppies so train your dog early.
Chihuahua Pug Mix = Chug
- The Chihuahua Pug mix is one of the most popular hybrid/mixed breeds and is recognized by all hybrid registries. This breed ranked 31 out of 32 as the US’ most popular dog breeds.
- If the dog has descended from a Chihuahua with long hair, then it may have an undercoat and feathering along the hind legs. Regular brushing is essential for this kind of coat.
- This breed is prone to obesity, therefore, avoid giving too many treats.
- Short-haired breeds can be susceptible to cold and should be protected from freezing temperatures.
- Train this Pug Chihuahua mix breed early to avoid behavioral problems and separation anxiety.
Chow Chow Pug Mix = Chowg
- A Chow Chow Pug mix dog breed is a combination of a large, thick-maned Chow Chow and a cute wrinkled Pug
- This is an obscure designer dog breed which has very little information found online. But you can take clues from the characteristics of the breed’s parents.
- If the Pug Chow Chow mix takes from its large Chow Chow parent, it can have a longer and brighter coat plus may have a larger and heavier built. If it takes from its Pug lineage, then it may have a medium-built with a smaller, wrinkly body.
- This breed is loyal, fun-loving but can be aloof to strangers.
Border Collie Pug Mix = Border Pollie
- A Border Collie Pug mix breed is a combination of an energetic Border Collie and a laid back Pug. This breed may have been the result of improving the energy and breathing of the Pug.
- This breed is energetic and even when small, will be alert and willing to train.
- The Pug Border Collie mix may have a higher possibility of shedding because both breeds are known to be heavy shedders.
- This dog will not be contented in an apartment setting and therefore would need to spend a lot of time outdoors.
Australian Shepherd Pug Mix = Australian Pug
- The Pug Australian Shepherd mix breed is the result of the breeding of a male Pug and a female Aussie using IVF.
- The best way to find this mix breed is through a reputable local breeder and a local shelter.
- An Australian Shepherd Pug mix is fun, loving and loyal. This makes a good family dog. It is patient with kids too.
- This breed should be fed well and should be monitored for overfeeding and obesity. This is also prone to hip dysplasia, eye conditions, heart ailments and bloat which are common health problems of both breeds.
Dachshund Pug Mix = Pughund
- The Dachshund Pug mix is quite a healthy mix breed. It does not inherit health problems from its parents but a visit to the vet at least every 4 to 6 months is needed.
- This breed is an active, strong and loving breed. Pugs are very loving but have a laid-back attitude while the Dachshund is bred to be hunting dogs.
- The Pug Dachshund mix has a slightly longer body owing from its Dachshund parent, but the nose is short and blunt from its Pug lineage.
- This breed is loyal and will remain with their owners for lif
Cocker Spaniel Pug Mix = Cocker Spanug
- The Pug Cocker Spaniel mix is a designer breed with a smooth coat, or a wavy appearance, therefore, will require regular brushing.
- This breed is affectionate, easy to get along and is kind and patient with kids. These dogs make the ideal family pet.
- The Cocker Spaniel Pug mix is ideally healthy but be watchful for obesity so control its diet and avoid overeating. Just like other mixed breeds, this should visit the vet at least every 4 to 6 months.
- This type of dog has low to moderate energy levels and needs walks of up to 45 minutes per day.
St. Bernard Pug Mix = St. Pug
- One of the most unlikely designer dog breeds is the St. Bernard Pug mix breed. This was made by combining a gigantic but very friendly St. Bernard with a small, laid-back Pug.
- There is not much information about this mixed breed, only images and videos of dogs that are supposedly Pug St. Bernard mixes.
- But looking at the characteristics of the parent breeds will give you a lot of information about this mixed breed. This dog may have a medium built with thick hair considering the mixture of the St. Bernard and Pug breeds.
- This breed is moderately active, healthy and loves to be with people considering the traits of its two parent breeds.
American Bulldog Pug Mix = American Pug
- The American Bulldog Pug mix is also known as a Mini Bulldog. Because of its small size, most of the characteristics of the American Bulldog are not evident in this breed.
- You will find this mixed breed from local breeders but make sure to check the local shelter beforehand.
- This comes in a variety of colors: red, fawn, brindle and patched.
- The Pug American Bulldog mix breed is gentle, loves the company of humans and has a calm and loving nature.
Cane Corso Pug Mix = Cane Porso
- The Cane Corso is a Mastiff-type dog, developed in Italy with Roman war dogs as ancestors. It is mixed with a small, cute Pug to create a Cane Corso Pug mix breed.
- The Pug Cane Corso mix is not too popular and very little information is published about this breed. But learning about its parents will help you understand the characteristics of this breed better.
- This breed is most likely medium built and is moderately active considering the appearance and the activity levels of both the Cane Corso and the Pug.
- When it comes to health issues, this breed is less susceptible to breathing problems because it has a longer snout.
Shar Pei Pug Mix = Shar Peipug
- The Shar Pei Pug mix is also known as the Ori Pei, Pugpei and the Sharpug.
- This non-sporting toy breed was created in North America in the 1970s which has moderate wrinkles, a stocky body, and a large round head.
- This is an intelligent breed with a playful and loving nature. The Pug Shar Pei mix is not aggressive and is very easy to train.
- This crossbreed was created to correct some health issues prevalent in its parent breeds.
Akita Pug Mix = Pugkita
- The Akita Pug mix breed is a rare mixed breed made by combining the genes of an Akita and a Pug.
- There is very little available information about this mixed breed, but pictures and videos show that the dog is larger than a pug but retains the small face and stubby nose of a Pug.
- There are some hesitations regarding the Akita breed because it is known as a wild and dangerous breed. But the Pug Akita mix has been known to be friendly, playful and loyal.
- This dog breed is less prone to breathing problems because it has a longer nose compared to the Pug.
Blue Heeler Pug Mix = Blue Pug
- The Blue Heeler Pug mix is a rare breed with very little information about it online. The only available info about this breed is images and videos.
- This is a mixture of the herding dog Blue Heeler and the laid back and cute Pug.
- The Pug Blue Heeler is a mixture of the characteristic of its proud parents. It is highly intelligent, active, protective and alert.
- This mix breed has lost the small, stocky nose of the Pug so this is less prone to breathing problems but is still vulnerable to overeating and obesity.
English Bulldog Pug Mix = English Pug
- The English Bulldog Pug mix is a designer dog breed with a medium-sized built with well-defined muscles.
- This breed is sensitive to heat just like its parents so be sure to keep it cool all day.
- The Pug English Bulldog mix is playful, loving and loves the company of humans. They are perfect personal companions because they are not too active.
- Obedience training should be done early because this breed can be stubborn and difficult to control.
Golden Retriever Pug Mix = Golden Pugtriever
- The Golden Retriever Pug mix is a very uncommon breed due to the size difference between the two breeds.
- The only way to create this breed is by spending a lot of money in the IVF process to inseminate a female Golden Retriever with a male Pug.
- A Pug Golden Retriever mix is highly-intelligent, active and easy to train considering the nature and intellect of both parent breeds.
- Possible health issues may arise from combining the two breeds like joint problems common in Golden Retrievers and the palate issues of Pugs.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Pug Mix = Rhodesian Pug
- The Rhodesian Ridgeback Pug is a unique and uncommon breed that has very little information available online. The only available info about it are pictures that prove this dog breed exists.
- The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a healthy and large dog breed with an active personality while the Pug is small and laid back. The result may be a moderately active dog with a medium built.
- According to available images, the Pug Rhodesian Ridgeback has minimal wrinkles on the face with a longer nose. Therefore it does not have the Pug’s breathing problems.
- This breed is active, loyal and lovable; it has retained the Pug’s large, dark eyes.
Pitbull Pug Mix = Pugit
- The Pitbull Pug mix barks more often, so you need to train this early to obey easy commands like “Quiet” and “Stop.”
- This breed is non-aggressive and will quickly adapt to apartment life. It is playful and loves his family a lot.
- The Pug Pitbull mix has a short and smooth coat with the short muzzle of a Pug and the almond eye-shape that is common in Pitbulls.
- If you want to have this breed, it’s best to start looking from shelters. You must also carefully select a breeder in case you want to purchase this breed.
French Bulldog Pug Mix = French Pug
- The French Bulldog Pug mix is also called the Frenchie Pug or the Frug. It is small, wrinkly along the forehead and eyes and has a short snout.
- This dog breed is energetic, curious, smart and fun-loving. It is good with kids too.
- The Pug French Bulldog mix is recognized by the ACHC, IDCR, DBR and the DDKC.
- This dog breed should get regular exercise but will not be able to stand excessive walking.
Catahoula Pug Mix = Pughoula
- A Catahoula Pug mix breed is a unique and very uncommon mixed dog breed with so very little information available online. But images show that this dog has inherited the Catahoula’s leopard coat and the Pug’s cute built.
- The Catahoula is native to Louisiana, USA and is an uncommon breed. This has made the Pug Catahoula mix a rare type of dog.
- This breed is very active, loves the outdoors and has a protective nature.
- The Pug’s laid-back attitude is gone because this breed loves to be the dominant one among all the pets at home.
Shih Tzu Pug Mix = Shih Tzug
- This mixed breed is ideal for first-time dog owners because it is easy to train, smart and lovable.
- The Shih Tzu Pug mix is a combination of two ancient breeds. The Shih Tzu dates back in the 800 BC and the Pug traces back to 200 BC.
- This breed is prone to obesity therefore proper timing of feeding and avoiding treats is essential.
- Be patient with the Pug Shih Tzu mix because this could become very stubborn.
Newfoundland Pug Mix = New Foundpugland
- A Newfoundland Pug mix is quite an uncommon mixed breed possibly due to the difference in size of a Newfoundland and a Pug.
- This breed is the result of the IVF of a female Newfoundland of sperm of a male Pug.
- The usual color of the coat of a Pug Newfoundland mix is black, but if the mother has a white and black or brown coat, then there is a possibility that the puppy has the same color.
- Only images of the Newfoundland Pug mix prove that this breed exists. The dog has a medium built with a short snout and wrinkled face similar to a Pug.
Pug Mix Food Requirements
As you can see, Pugs have been crossbred with so many different pooches that their mixed offspring can come in any size imaginable.
You have to make sure that your pup, whether big or small, stays happy and healthy throughout their life. The best thing you can do is to provide them with proper nutrition. So, avoid purchasing the worst dry dog food, and select only the best dry dog food for them, such as Wellness Core Dog Food, Dog For Dog Food, or Nutra Thrive dog food supplement.
While your furry buddy is still a little pupper, feed them with special formulas designed by the best puppy food brands. If you own an elderly Pug mix doggo, make sure to offer them only the best senior dry dog food.
Needless to say, your stunning mixed doggo carries the genes of their respective and vastly different parents. So, try your luck with the best dry dog food for small dogs or the best large breed dry dog food to find out which kind they like better! However, do consult with your vet before changing your pup’s food regimen for good!
- Tran, J.n.s.n., et al. “Clinicopathological Features of Cardiac Glycolipid Storage Disease in an Adult Pug.” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 156, no. 2-3, 11 Dec. 2017, pp. 235–239., doi:10.1016/j.jcpa.2016.10.013.
- Gewirtz, Elaine Waldorf. Pugs for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2004.
Last Updated on