What To Look For In a Working Dog Formula
Table of Contents
- 1 What To Look For In a Working Dog Formula
- 2 Showtime Dog Food: An In-Depth Review
- 3 Features & Benefits of Showtime Dog Food
- 4 What People Say About Showtime
- 5 Alternatives to Showtime Dog Food
- 6 Conclusion
ProteinWorking dogs need protein. Protein will fuel your hunting dog to go all day or night. Protein helps working dogs develop the strong, lean muscles that they need both to do their jobs well and to protect their joints from the impact of their work. Whatever food you choose should give you a good protein option so you can vary the protein your dog receives to suit their changing energy levels across working seasons or during different stages of your pet’s life.
VarietyYou want more than a couple of options to choose from if you want the best nutrition for your dog. Your puppy will need a different dietary balance than your working dog. Your senior dog will need something different altogether. You would rather stay within the same brand for all of your dogs and throughout your dogs’ lives, so appropriate variety in formulas is important.
Proven ingredientsThe craze these days is to stay away from corn and wheat, but that doesn’t mean corn and wheat are actually bad for your dog. Grains like these, balanced with a meat meal, an animal source of fat, and the right levels of vitamins and minerals, have proven themselves able to sustain even high-octane working dogs and keep them healthy through the years. Avoid the hype and look for ingredients from plants, animals, and grains in a balanced ingredient recipe for your dog.
Showtime Dog Food: An In-Depth ReviewShowtime Dog Food has been feeding working dogs for generations. There is a range of recipes with different protein and fat content along with adjustments in vitamins and minerals depending on your dog’s needs. Showtime uses high-quality ingredients that offer good nutrition for your dog while keeping the cost low. Here’s what you need to know about Showtime.
- Affordable, high-protein dog food
- Company has been in business for a long time and makes a lot of other kinds of animal feed as well
- Range of recipes to meet every dog’s needs
- Wheat or corn as the second or third ingredient for most recipes
- No wet food options
- High protein diets best for working dogs or high-energy pets
Features & Benefits of Showtime Dog Food
ProteinShowtime Dog Food contains a higher percentage of protein than many other similarly priced dog foods on the market. Importantly, the first source of protein is poultry and porcine meal. The meal is a meat concentrate, which may contain as much as 300% more protein than whole protein sources or pork. Protein is very important for working dogs so they can keep up their energy level and build muscle.
VarietyShowtime makes formulas that are perfect for every dog, from the beginning of life to the later years. From high-protein diets perfect for working dogs or puppies to ideal formulas for average pets or kennel dogs, you can find great food for your dog’s needs. Here are some of the options you can choose from.
Showtime Puppy 30/20The Showtime Puppy Formula is designed for all breeds, large and small. It has the right balance of protein and fat along with the vitamins and minerals that your puppy needs to develop properly. High-quality ingredients enable better digestibility for your puppy, reducing potty accidents. Extra Omega fatty acids are added from ground flaxseed, fish meal, and poultry fat to help your puppy develop healthy skin and a shiny coat. Vitamins A and E are elevated so that your puppy can ward off viruses as their immune system develops. Whole ground corn is a steady source of carbohydrates. With 30% protein and 20% fat, your dog will have the nutrition they need to build muscle and gain weight without growing too quickly.
Showtime 27/20As your puppy gets older, you will want to switch to the 27/20 recipe. This recipe is specifically made for growing puppies of all activity levels and can continue to stick with your dog through the first years of life. It may even be a good diet to maintain if your dog has high energy levels and work needs. The 27% protein is a little bit less than your dog needs when a young puppy, but is perfect for a growing young adult. You want enough protein to fuel your dog but not so much that they grow too quickly in young adulthood. Menhaden fish meal provides plenty of healthy amino acids to help your young dog grow a beautiful adult coat. Ground whole wheat, rather than corn, is the grain listed second for this recipe. Wheat is a great source of fiber and provides slightly less fat and sugar than corn, making it a great choice for dogs that are growing more slowly.
Showtime 27/16Want all of the protein without much fat? This recipe contains the same amount of protein as ShowTime 27/20 but only 16% fat, making it a better option for dogs who need plenty of fuel to power through their day but may be prone to gaining weight. This is a great diet for active working dogs to give them stamina while keeping them lean for joint health.
Showtime 24/20For dogs who need higher fat in order to improve their coat, gain weight, or stay warm in cold winters, the 24/20 diet provides a good balance of protein and fat. This high-performance formula is ideal for dogs that don’t tend to gain or maintain weight easily. Ground whole wheat and ground yellow corn offer the advantages of both grains.
Showtime Chicken & Rice 24/14Do you need a medium-level protein diet with reduced fat? This diet includes protein from chicken rather than from bovine meal. Chicken meal is a concentrated source of protein that is easy for your dog to digest. If you’re concerned about too much wheat or corn in your dog’s food, you’ll appreciate that brewer’s rice is the second ingredient in this diet, after the chicken meal. This is a great balanced diet for the average family pet, professional breeders, and kenneled dogs.
Showtime 21/12If your dog gains weight very easily or is in a period of inactivity, they need a diet with very low fat as well as mid-level protein. This is one of the few diets that does not have meat meal as the first ingredient. In this diet, ground whole wheat comes first, followed by poultry. This means that more protein comes from grain, resulting in lower protein levels. For dogs who don’t need the high-protein content from a diet of meat as a first ingredient, this can be a great maintenance diet.
Showtime Advanced 31/22If your dog has the highest protein needs because they do hard work day in and day out, the 31/22 formula is perfect. This formula is specifically designed to increase energy levels with brewer’s rice and wheat. Your dog’s joints are protected on the job with glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. Protein from poultry and porcine meal builds strong muscles so your dog can work hard all day.
What People Say About ShowtimeReviews from people who have actually been feeding Showtime dog food to their furry friends are very positive. People report shiny coats and vigorous exercise without tiring. Entire generations have been raised on this food without apparent negative consequences. Although some people criticize the corn or wheat content, there is no proof that corn or wheat is bad for dogs, or that the content of corn or wheat in Showtime will negatively affect your dog.
Alternatives to Showtime Dog FoodNot convinced that Showtime is the right food for your dog? Here are some other good options with a similar ingredient, protein, and price profile to meet your dog’s needs.
VICTOR Classic Professional Dry Food
- Nutrient-dense recipe made with premium-quality beef, chicken and pork meals
- Excellent for dogs of All Life Stages, including growing puppies and pregnant and lactating females
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein and amino acids
- Variety of meat protein
- Higher quality grains like grain sorghum and whole-grain millet
- Formulated with prebiotics and probiotics
Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food Pork, Chicken & Fish Reduced-Fat
- Complete & Balanced: All Natural, Delicious Dry Dog Recipe For Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Reduced Fat Formula: Made With Real Pork, Chicken & Fish, With Fewer Calories Than Eagle Pack Original To Support Healthy Weight Loss Goals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Corn, Wheat, Meat By-Products, Artificial Colors, Flavors Or Preservatives
- Does not include corn or wheat, which may be of concern to some people considering Showtime
- Provides a variety of animal proteins in the form of meal, which is a more concentrated form of meat
- Slightly more expensive, on average, than Showtime
Eukanuba Premium Sport
- Eukanuba Premium Sport 28/18 dry dog food is made to support the energy needs of sporting and working dogs
- Helps build, maintain, and repair lean muscles with high levels of fat, protein, and amino acids
- Fuels sustained energy for peak performance with a customized blend of carbohydrates
- Whole chicken is the first ingredient, followed by chicken by-product meal
- Formulated with a dental defense system to improve your dog’s dental health
- Also makes formulas for large- or small-breed dogs
ConclusionIf you are looking for an affordable, high-quality, high-protein dog food specially formulated for working dogs, Showtime may be a great choice for you. A variety of formulas exist to serve the needs of dogs from puppyhood until old age, both during working times and rest periods. Try Showtime Dog Food
Last Updated on